Celestion G12M-70 vs Celestion G12H 75 ramblings

What's Hot
steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
edited July 2020 in Amps

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    That's as I would expect.

The G12T-75 is inherently a lot more scooped than the G12M-70. It has a deeper, looser bass, much less midrange and a bright, buzzy top-end. The G12M-70 is much softer and more middy, often too much so for some amps and cabs and can sound a bit muddy or woolly.

They're actually a good mix since each offsets the other very well, so you could put the 75s in the Laney cab and it should sound good - I would load them in an 'x' pattern.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited April 2019
    Ah, thank you @ICBM. Yes, makes sense - 'softer' is the word. Seems to work well with the 'Bassman' which can get quite lively when turned up.

Good idea- I'll stick the 75s in the other half of the 4x12 and see what happens!

Cheers

edited April 2019
    Thinking on this... any recommendations for current speakers which might have a 'softer' sound, nice bass and not too much top end? 

Why use what I already have and am happy with when I can spend money on new things?  

But seriously, might see if anyone wants to play swapsies with the 75s - when I know what I am looking for.

Thanks again.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    steven70 said:
    Thinking on this... any recommendations for current speakers which might have a 'softer' sound, nice bass and not too much top end?
    Creamback G12M-65s.

Creamback G12H-75s are good too, but have a deeper bass, clearer mids and more top-end - but not as scooped or buzzy as the 75s.

Some of the more recent Celestions might be worth a try too - I haven't tried most of them yet, but the V-Type seems pretty good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I switched from a G12H-75 to a Neo Creamback in my DRRI - more mids and smoother highs.  I'm definitely into the neo
    edited July 2020

removed. Accidental post. Looking at an old thread.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6795
    steven70 said:

removed. Accidental post. Looking at an old thread.
    Why did you remove all your previous content? Topic looks interesting and I’m interested in the speaker comparison.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I'm blaming the diazepam...apologies.
    edited July 2020
    In short, back in 2019 I was moaning about the G12H-75 being harsh. 
    They seem alright now tbh as I have thrashed the crap out of them...