Playback monitors

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
edited April 2019 in Studio & Recording
Currently have a pair if dynaudio BM5s that I use for everything, my studio space is about 5x3m, so not huge.  Ideally what id like is one pair of speakers for tracking/playback, and one for mixing so thinking of 2 options

1 buy a pair of smaller monitors for mixing and use the dynaudios for playback
2 keep the dynaudios for mixing and get something more PA styke like Db technologies l160d for playback

dont need huge, or really loud

any opinions welcome
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Maybe spell check the title first ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Why do you want different monitors for tracking and mixing? 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    spark240 said:
    Maybe spell check the title first ;-)
    Cheers ;)

Musicwolf said:
    Why do you want different monitors for tracking and mixing? 
    The monitors are currently set up on my desk, normally when tracking I’m side-on to the, I also have a listening sofa at the other end of the room which is side-on too.

Also, quite like the idea of something with a bit more oomph, and partly because I’ve got monitor GAS
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Unless you go for something significantly better than the BM5s then you aren't really gaining anything beyond satisfying your GAS.  I often turn 90deg to my monitors when tracking guitar, that is if I'm not wearing headphones.

The only way I see this making any sense is if you were upgrading your main monitors (and you had the room set up accordingly plus some suitable acoustic treatment) and you were just putting the BM5s to use for casual listening because you didn't feel that the used market made it worth your while to sell them.

I hope that helps?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I have something similar in my studio.

My main monitors (Kii Three's) are in front of the mix position.
    On the other side of the studio (180 degrees) I have my Eurorack modular set up with a set of IK Multimedia iLoud's on the same desk.
    When I only had the Kii's I was always having to turn around when manipulating the modular to hear details.

Now I can stay facing towards the modular and I hear enough detail to be able to create sounds.

You may need some sort of monitor controller in order to sent audio to one pair but not the other.

The iLouds look like this and are about £230.

I'd personally never want to do a mix on them but for making sounds they are fine and have a ridiculous amount of bottom end for something so tiny.
    My desk has separate outs for control room and main speakers so don't think I'll need a controller.  

I do more listening to music/playing than I do mixing so it probably makes sense to move the Dynaudios to the other wall and get some smaller monitors for mixing
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Nice!  May as well get a spare set for the bathroom ;)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    you'll always hear me banging on about how good and versatile the Genelecs are... Ive tried the 8010 and 8020 (current) and they are superb.

Also worked really well with the Kemper and HX Stomp...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    you'll always hear me banging on about how good and versatile the Genelecs are... Ive tried the 8010 and 8020 (current) and they are superb.

They're on the short-list :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    John_A said:

They're on the short-list :)
    I picked up some 8030As for just under 450 on eBay the other week. They haven't exploded yet YMMV
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I use headphones (AKG K702's) and have just ordered a budget pair of speakers (Alesis Elevate 5 MK2's) I'm hoping they'll do the job as I just couldn't afford/justify spending £££'s on monitors. Fingers crossed they do a half decent job!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    Just bagged some Genelec 8010s. Couldn’t justify the extra for some bigger ones
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    edited April 2019
    I picked up a set of mint Tannoy Reveals for £30 on eBay. When paired with a really good amp, they sound freakin’ excellent. Maybe a touch thin on the top end, and somewhat strident in the bass, but very engaging and surprising dynamic. 

i’m using them with an NVA A60 power amp, and NVA P80 passive Pre amp.  

Will tide me over until I get something more exotic.  Best £30 I’ve ever spent!
    TheMarlin said:
    I picked up a set of mint Tannoy Reveals for £30 on eBay. With a really good amp, they sound freakin’ excellent. A touch thin on the top end, and somewhat strident in the bass, but very engaging and dynamic. 

Will tide me over until I get something more exotic. 
    Bargain!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    edited April 2019
    John_A said:
    TheMarlin said:
    I picked up a set of mint Tannoy Reveals for £30 on eBay. With a really good amp, they sound freakin’ excellent. A touch thin on the top end, and somewhat strident in the bass, but very engaging and dynamic. 

Will tide me over until I get something more exotic. 
    Bargain!
    I got another pair free from this very forum a few years ago. I was building a starter hifi system for my nephew. 
    The speakers sounded great, but them amp wasn’t as good as the one I’m using now. So I didn’t think to keep them, I put the sound more down to the amp than the speakers. (JVC JAS-11 - a very lovely early 80’s combo with an excellent turntable Pre amp). 
    I just built another system for my niece, and got these speakers for her, but when I heard them in my system, decided to keep them. 

I have her some nice Mission floor-standers I had knocking around the garage.

I’ve still got a few spare CD Players me amps in the garage...and another set of mission speakers.  Just in case another family member wants to get into hifi...
    Yes, the amp makes far more difference than most people would imagine.  Years ago I used to monitor with some old wharfdale hifi speakers and a rotel amp, I borrowed a Samson servo and some tannoy speakers and tried all the combinations.  The rotel amp was certainly the weakest link 

Well the 8010's are here, been listening all morning and love them, half thought of sending them back for the bigger 8020's but they are actually perfect for what I need them for, stereo has never sounded so stereo!