Routing Pedal

smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
edited April 2019 in FX
Ive got my HX Stomp on my board and want to be able to choose whether it goes into the front of my clean amp, or in the fx loop when using my drive channel, without mucking around changing loads of cables etc.

My board is set up so that my guitar signal can go either directly into the front of my amp, or be split into 4cm due to a patch bay.

So, what do I need here? Boss LS-2 after the Stomp, to switch whether it goes direct or into my FX Loop?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    Set it up in 4CM, then use the Stomp to control where it’s in and outs go. 

Iirc you can use the full-fat helix for amp channel switching as well, and automatically change settings based on which amp channel you’re using. I’m not sure if the Stomp can do the same?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited April 2019
    Set it up in 4CM, then use the Stomp to control where it’s in and outs go. 

Iirc you can use the full-fat helix for amp channel switching as well, and automatically change settings based on which amp channel you’re using. I’m not sure if the Stomp can do the same?

Wot he said!! It does it all for you ! I have a pedal that will do that, but you don't really need one with any multi effect that does 4cm.

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    I cant set up my Stomp in 4cm as I currently have my DD500 in the Stomp’s FX loop. It’s my actual pedalboard that is set up in 4cm, with the Stomp currently routed into my FX Loop on my patch bay. I was looking for a way of changing where the Stomp’s output goes to, depending on whether I was using my own amp, or a provided back-line
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    Then I don't think the Stomp has enough ins & outs to cover all that. You could probably do it with some sort of ABY box. Not sure if the LS2 would quite be enough.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Not sure why you need any additional boxes. For your own amp, use 4CM. For a provided amp, put a patch cable from the ‘front of amp output’ to the ‘FX send input’ and connect the ‘FX return output’ to the amp’s input. That’s what I used to do with my big pedalboard, except that I put my amp-simulator pedal in the connection instead of just a patch cable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Not sure why you need any additional boxes. For your own amp, use 4CM. For a provided amp, put a patch cable from the ‘front of amp output’ to the ‘FX send input’ and connect the ‘FX return output’ to the amp’s input. That’s what I used to do with my big pedalboard, except that I put my amp-simulator pedal in the connection instead of just a patch cable.
    Aye, you're right - and this is actually how I have it set up - half awake this morning!

What i’d also like to do though, is to be able to switch the Stomp from the FX Loop of my own amp, to the front, if i wanted to use a different amp model. I’ve tried this in the FX loop and it sounds crap and muddy. 
    edited April 2019
    smudge_lad said:

What i’d also like to do though, is to be able to switch the Stomp from the FX Loop of my own amp, to the front, if i wanted to use a different amp model. I’ve tried this in the FX loop and it sounds crap and muddy. 
    Also running an amp preamp effect *in* the loop is potentially risky, if it's anything with a fair amount of gain - it can make the amp unstable and self-oscillate, usually outside the audio range. It's possible that this is what's causing the muddy sound...

Can you just re-rout it in the HX so the amp's preamp is bypassed when you're doing that? ie everything on the board then goes into the amp's FX return without going through the amp's preamp, which is safe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    smudge_lad said:

Also running an amp preamp effect *in* the loop is potentially risky, if it's anything with a fair amount of gain - it can make the amp unstable and self-oscillate, usually outside the audio range. It's possible that this is what's causing the muddy sound...

Can you just re-rout it in the HX so the amp's preamp is bypassed when you're doing that? ie everything on the board then goes into the amp's FX return without going through the amp's preamp, which is safe.

So I already have patches that are just delays/verbs and these go into my amp FX Loop - these are all fine.

Are you suggesting I start to use both outputs on the Stomp - one as normal to my FX Loop - and the other output to the main input to my amp input - so when I start using a patch with an amp sim, the Stomp then re-routes things as required?

This might work....?

I don’t know enough about the HX to be sure, but I think so.

Just looked into it and I don’t think I can use that second output for that purpose. I’d need to find a way of switching the routing of the mono output, so would be an a/b box I reckon