Using a distortion/high gain OD properly! with a PRRI

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
So I’ve been messing a lot with the PRRI amp levels at home, I’m really not experienced enough to explain this to you properly so apologies if it comes across as vague or naive. 
I’m basically aiming for a medium/high gain lead tone, think Motorcycle Emptiness (Manics)
I’ve been experimenting a lot with my drives and distortions, I have the PRRI volume set between 8-10, I use the lead (red) channel of my Boss SD-2 Dual Drive, the drive is set to max, tone just before 12, but I use the pedal level to control overall amp volume. By doing this I think I’m getting some fairly thick decent lead tones and it’s not too far off. So by utilising the level on the SD-2 is this is good way of getting a decent lead tone? Is this good practice?
From memory for rehearsals and a handful of small gigs I’d have the Princeton volume on 5, the SD-2 level about 11-12 o’clock and drive set at 9 o’clock, I think the lead tone sounded choked and failed to cut through at all. Any tips or advice? am I doing this correctly? please go easy on me! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    There are no hard and fast rules.

The Princeton is a smallish Fender amp and it's never going to sound like a Marshall stack.

A couple of tips I could suggest are that the louder you get generally the less gain you need so wind that back as much as you can. Also pull the bass back a bit so the sound cuts a bit more and the cab doesn't fart out. What sounds good at gig level often sounds thin at home.

What guitar are you using?

I'm sure you can get the sound without fiddling with gear but the Crunch Box is very reminiscent of that sound and the Mooer cruncher is a good inexpensive clone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I use a Thorpy Gunshot with a Princeton style amp and it sounds great.
    As said dial the bass right back and it will cut through.
  • There are no hard and fast rules.

The Princeton is a smallish Fender amp and it's never going to sound like a Marshall stack.

A couple of tips I could suggest are that the louder you get generally the less gain you need so wind that back as much as you can. Also pull the bass back a bit so the sound cuts a bit more and the cab doesn't fart out. What sounds good at gig level often sounds thin at home.

What guitar are you using?

I'm sure you can get the sound without fiddling with gear but the Crunch Box is very reminiscent of that sound and the Mooer cruncher is a good inexpensive clone.
    Thanks @monquixote will look into those
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    edited April 2019
    I’m using p-90 equipped K-line San B (jazzmaster without tremolo or bigsby) and a K-line Springfield (Strat)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5163
    Telecaster Thinline and a Marshall Shredder pedal.....

https://youtu.be/5gslKjS155Q

I use a clean amp with my Palmer distortion pedal to get pretty close.... :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Cheers @octatonic Bass back on amp?
  • octatonic said:
    Cheers @octatonic Bass back on amp?
    Oh no! Although I’ve been strictly Boss the last year or so... I’ve been secretly gassing for a Thorpy Gunshot and the Lightspeed. This is not helping
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    If you want to stay boss get an angry driver.

The angry Charlie is a Crunchbox rip off.
  • tone1 said:
    Telecaster Thinline and a Marshall Shredder pedal.....

https://youtu.be/5gslKjS155Q

I use a clean amp with my Palmer distortion pedal to get pretty close.... :)
    Lost count of how many times I’ve watched that video, really nice to see the stripped back riffs... and that tele thinline... should never have sold mine
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I have the 68. I use compressor into tubescreamer type pedal for a lead tone. Have the volume at 3 for strat and 2 for humbuckers
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Generally when using overdrive / distortion pedals, I have found that by boosting the treble (on the pedal) helps it cut through. I use a Thorpy Gunshot on a Blues Delux, and it works superbly for me.