edited July 2020 in Amps
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited July 2020
    Sorry, that was quite an idiotic post. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Trace Elliot made a 3x12" with the speakers arranged in an inwardly-pointing tetrahedron. Why, I don't know! Since it was still the size and weight of a 4x12", your post was less idiotic probably...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    ICBM said:
    Trace Elliot made a 3x12" with the speakers arranged in an inwardly-pointing tetrahedron. Why, I don't know! Since it was still the size and weight of a 4x12", your post was less idiotic probably...
    Trace Elliot are known for doing quite weird things- I'm surprised they haven't done a 1.5x12" combo.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    There was a company that did a whole bunch of weird shaped amps and cabs as concept ideas. I think it was Sheldon although nothing to that effect on their website now. One I remember was a pyramid where the cab made up most of the shape with a pointy amp on top. This crosses my mind from time to time but I've yet to find a picture on line.     

3 x 10 isn't that uncommon, some of the bandmasters had it and it looks like the current 57 reissue does. In a triangle with two on the bottom.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    octatonic said:

Trace Elliot are known for doing quite weird things- I'm surprised they haven't done a 1.5x12" combo.
    To be fair, it's good that companies do try different things even if they don't always catch on.

One of their best ideas was that little 1x10" bass amp with the almost fully-enclosed speaker - very counterintuitive, but correct physics... the two slots to let the sound out made it almost completely omnidirectional and very efficient. The only real problems were that it lacked punch (I think exactly because it was so undirectional) and that it weighed about double what you would expect an amp that size to because of all the extra MDF in the baffling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• We should take inspiration from the team that recently imaged those black holes, and link together multiple speakers on opposite sides of the earth to create an effective 1 x 8000miles...
    edited July 2020
    We should take inspiration from the team that recently imaged those black holes, and link together multiple speakers on opposite sides of the earth to create an effective 1 x 8000miles...
    That'd be like that band 'Disaster Area' on 'Hitchhikers Guide'  

Actually, I like the idea of a 3 x 10 - might work well with a 2 x12 

Anyways...all good speculation as I'll never get to play anywhere big enough...

• GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Lindsey Buckingham uses 1 x 15 and 1 x 10 on top, custom made.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Lemmy used two 4x15” cabs with Murder One
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    RiftAmps said:
    Have what you like when you have roadies!

I was watching that Andertons interview with Jakko Jaksyzk ( great interview by the way although I still don't 'get' King Crimson) and he was talking about his time in Level 42 ( using Trace Elliot guitar amps - no idea if he had the 3x12!). When the band split up he realised he couldn't get his touring rig into the car. Not much of an anecdote but I guess it illustrates the difference between touring bands and everyone else.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited April 2019
    RiftAmps said:
    Have what you like when you have roadies!

I was watching that Andertons interview with Jakko Jaksyzk ( great interview by the way although I still don't 'get' King Crimson) and he was talking about his time in Level 42 ( using Trace Elliot guitar amps - no idea if he had the 3x12!). When the band split up he realised he couldn't get his touring rig into the car. Not much of an anecdote but I guess it illustrates the difference between touring bands and everyone else.    

That's a good point - not that I ever went on long tours or had roadies - but changed to a 2x12 when I moved out of London (where we had storage) simply because it was a nightmare on the back manhandling the 4x12 down the steps and into the Peugeot for the occasional pub gig. Bass player used to have an 18 inch wardrobe and some kind of Peavey head with 2x15s and an amp inside. These were affectionately known as 'Tomb of Odin' and 'Ark of the Covenant'. He has now replaced them with some speakers made by a bloke in Brighton which weigh next to nothing...crazy.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    My Bird Golden Eagle has three elliptical speakers in a row.

It sounds better through an external cab for some inexplicable reason.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    Stuckfast said:
    My Bird Golden Eagle has three elliptical speakers in a row.

It sounds better through an external cab for some inexplicable reason.
    What a lovely amp.