Gene Wolfe died yesterday

VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I only saw this cos I follow Neil Gaimen on FB and he posted about it, but Gene Wolfe died yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Wolfe

I have read some of his stuff, but must confess to not reading more of it, despite it being the kind of stuff I like to read, he was one of those authors I ended up putting on my must read more of list, but never getting round to doing so. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited April 2019

I've got an old copy of The Shadow of the Torturer somewhere, I think, but I never got round to reading it.

I have read some of his short stories, The Death of Doctor Island etc.  I liked those titles.

I didn't realise he was still around, to be honest.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    ''I didn't realise he was still around, to be honest''

it's weird, as a teenager browsing the sci fi section of smiths, I always used to see his name, and just kinda assumed he was contemporary to then, but I guess even back then he'd been around for years, and his name kept popping up in sci fi circles, so yeah I was also suprised that he was still around, but apparently he was still writing almost up to the end. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    VimFuego said:
    it's weird, as a teenager browsing the sci fi section of smiths, I always used to see his name, and just kinda assumed he was contemporary to then, but I guess even back then he'd been around for years
    Likewise.  But I was also reading authors like Fritz Leiber and A E van Vogt who'd been around for a good 20 years longer.  I guess Wolfe was a contemporary of people like Michael Moorcock and Robert Silverberg.

I always think of the late '70s, early '80s as some kind of golden age for fantasy, science fiction and horror, but the truth is probably just that that was the last time I had hours to kill wandering around bookshops and libraries.

Although having said that, the genre sections do seem smaller than they used to be.  Bookshops seem to have a lot more copies of fewer books - the top 50 paperbacks and not much else.