Stomp excessive noise issue

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
So, I’ve had my board in bits to try and figure this out. When it was taken apart, I tried connecting each pedal one by one (to the Zuma underneath) and there was no noise. I thought i’d maybe solved it with just making sure all the connections were fresh and secure.

Put the board back together, and all the noise is back! :(

Im powering the Stomp with the correct Line 6 power supply, and it’s at the very end of the chain. As you can hear before the Stomp is active, I’ve got no/very little noise

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8HnBzi0mfHB2gusBLOPibNZFDDxDZDI/view?usp=drivesdk

Could the power supply be goosed? Admittedly, the plug is not very secure on the power pack even with the clip connected. Almost every time I attempt to unplug the full power supply, it comes away from the actual plug section. Could it be something to do with this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I know it's subliminal advertising for Gigrig power, but check this out re Isolation

Also near the end of this when they try out Mick's board

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    Will need to have another watch of these after work, but if all my pedals are connected to the Zuma which is isolated, and the Line 6 power supply is separate, am I not already running everything in isolation?
    Will need to have another watch of these after work, but if all my pedals are connected to the Zuma which is isolated, and the Line 6 power supply is separate, am I not already running everything in isolation?
    Earth loops, and apparently there's isolation and isolation ..... (the Mick new board build is supposed to be isolated too ...)

Feedback
    Just don't understand how it wasn't there before I re-built the board.....zzzzz...I'll have another look at the video's
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    I've been getting a similar problem and I only noticed it after I put a extension under the board to plug both of the power supplies. The original one for the Stomp and another one for my other pedals daisy chained.
    I'll have to look into that too.

So, I watched the video's and I'm still a little confused with where the noise is coming from.

Is the Stomp power supply NOT isolated? Does anyone know? Is this what's causing the issue?

As far as I'm aware, the Zuma is totally isolated so I should be able to rule out any of my pedals causing the issue, surely?

This is beyond my knowledge now, but I do know a separate PSU isn't necessarily electically isolated, when it comes to earth loops and what have you.  Do both PSUs have a plastic earth pin ?  (It mightn't be your board at all, but another device in the house). 

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    This is beyond my knowledge now, but I do know a separate PSU isn't necessarily electically isolated, when it comes to earth loops and what have you.  Do both PSUs have a plastic earth pin ?  (It mightn't be your board at all, but another device in the house). 
    I’ll check the plug situation when I get home. I know that I’m not using the original Zuma plug as the fuse blew....twice!

I still get the same noise at my practise room, so kinda think it has to be the board somewhere
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    How close is the stomp physically located to either power supply? If you keep everything wired up the same but temporarily move the stomp off the board does it stop? 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    OK so 2 things to check. If you're using the supplied psu for stomp, try plugging that into a different socket. If that doesn't work, check the outputs are set to instrument level in the global preferences. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

How close is the stomp physically located to either power supply? If you keep everything wired up the same but temporarily move the stomp off the board does it stop? 
    The Zuma is underneath the board so it’s fairly close. I’ll try moving the Stomp off the board tonight and see what happens.

Not great if this solves the issue, how am I supposed to get around that?
    OK so 2 things to check. If you're using the supplied psu for stomp, try plugging that into a different socket. If that doesn't work, check the outputs are set to instrument level in the global preferences. 
    Cheers bud, outputs are defo set to instrument but I’ll try the other plug socket later on. I’m sure I did try this before, but will give it another go
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    One thing I noticed with mine is the noise it's higher when the input impedance is set to Auto. Low impedance values mean low noise and higher impedance gets more noisier.
    None of the power supplies (Stomp and 1Spot) have earth connection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Jota said:
    One thing I noticed with mine is the noise it's higher when the input impedance is set to Auto. Low impedance values mean low noise and higher impedance gets more noisier.
    None of the power supplies (Stomp and 1Spot) have earth connection.

Cheers fella, I will check the input impedance also
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Have you solved the noise issue mate ?
    I've got a patchbay under my board - guitar in, amp out, fx send and fx return. Sometimes, for simplicity I jump the amp send and fx send jacks and just run everything into the front of the amp. It had something to do with this. 

I just took the board to bits completely including the patch bay and then reconnected it all, and it works now.

Ive still got an Ojai on the way to run off my Zuma so that I can power the Stomp from this instead of its own power supply so that it’s completely isolated