Best solid wood acoustic for £500-£700

What's Hot
Thomas_kThomas_k Frets: 2
edited April 2019 in Acoustics
basically I’m tired of hearing these cheap tin sounds from all these guitars.. I want something with a nice rounded off low ends all solid acoustic guitar with a budget between £500 -£700 i was thinking a guild or something like that. Any suggestions would be great ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I suggest moving this to the acoustics section.
    edited April 2019
    Eastman do some all solid woods in that price range.

Maybe you could be more specific? Dred, OM, etc. Spruce, cedar or mahogany top? That kind of thing. What do you like playing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Can't really go wrong with the Yamaha L16's. Choice of body shapes and they're like dead good and stuff. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Can't really go wrong with the Yamaha L16's. Choice of body shapes and they're like dead good and stuff. 
    No longer under £700, but a fair chunk more.  

Great guitars though.  IMO, one of the best necks for any acoustic guitar - the 5 piece necks are incredibly stable. 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    No longer under £700, but a fair chunk more.  

Great guitars though.  IMO, one of the best necks for any acoustic guitar - the 5 piece necks are incredibly stable. 
    Most places just over but you can get this..

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14030615390532--yamaha-ll16are-dark-tint?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvs2v69DX4QIVw7HtCh2lpwBnEAkYASABEgJGtfD_BwE

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• FAITH! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thomas_kThomas_k Frets: 2
    edited April 2019
    Sorry I should have been more specific..   definitely a dreadnought, I haven’t really looked at Yamahas maybe I should.  I was thinking more of the lower end Martin or Guilds. At the moment I have a Martin DC15E soild mahogany and it’s great. So something along them lines... I’ve heard good things about the epiphone masterbilt dr-500mce but I’ve never really heard a good epiphone so I’m very sceptical 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I recently was shopping in this price range and the first thing I'd say is don't discount layered back and sides.

We tried everything, absolutely everything, in the £400 - £800 all solid range at Guitar Village and ended up with a PRS Angelus Ltd Edition which is layered Koa b&s with solid spruce top. It was clearly the best sounding acoustic (to ours ears) at this price point.

Guild and Faith were all decent at that price but didn't match the detail of the PRS. The bracing system they used on that model locks down the back and sides and just focuses on moving the top. It seems to work!

I took it to the Water Rats jam last week and general consensus was it sounded great both acoustically and plugged in. 

I'd definitely look at a Taylor 114 not least because they have always argued that the woods matter less than the way it is constructed. I've also had a bit of a Damascene conversation regarding this, with experience of a poorly finished Eastman as well as this experience with PRS. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    Maton S60, the odd s/h Gibson j15 and a couple of Eastmans would all fit your criteria and be good acoustics.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Some solid wood recording king guitars are bargains in that price range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    How about Dowina for a left field suggestion? Slovakian brand, all solid. Andertons stock them, YouTube videos available.
  • Thomas_kThomas_k Frets: 2
    edited April 2019
    Thanks all. I’m gonna look at the suggestions. I do like the look and sound of the Gibson J15 im sure you can pick decent second hand ones for a decent price 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited April 2019
    I have a Tanglewood X15 NS solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, maple binding, bone nut and saddles, dreadnought sized.

its a very nice guitar, I picked mine up for £650 and it's worth every penny!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ve seen J15s and J35s as cheap as £800 from time to time but never less. Glenns has a J15 at mo £999
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    If you go for a Yamaha LL16 make sure you go used as the depreciation is steep. They are very good guitars though.
    I've seen a J15 go for £660 recently.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    If you go for a Yamaha LL16 make sure you go used as the depreciation is steep. They are very good guitars though.
    I've seen a J15 go for £660 recently.
    These are fantastic guitars!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    You might pick up something lower down the Furch range second hand at that price.

I wouldn't rule out something that doesn't have solid back and sides.  Laminated can sound good, as can the HPL on some of the lower end Martins.  Those Martins have an unfinished look to them.  There is a finish but it's incredibly thin, so it doesn't restrict the movement of the top.  I have an OOO version and it sounded better than conventional gloss finished guitars of twice the price when I bought it.  I was willing to spend more but there was no point.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Bargain Faith Neptune in the classifieds worth a look. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    I have a tanglewood tW15s I think called and also a simon and patrick  (can't remember the model).  Before that i had a taylor 414.  I much prefer both those to the Taylor by a mile. 

• Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 238
    I would keep your martin and get saving and just buy a d 18 or d28 whether you want hog or rosewood.  As that price range your not going to be gaining anything over what youve got.