Best solid wood acoustic for £500-£700

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Thomas_kThomas_k Frets: 2
    edited May 2019
    Th4fonz said:
    I would keep your martin and get saving and just buy a d 18 or d28 whether you want hog or rosewood.  As that price range your not going to be gaining anything over what youve got.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited April 2019
    What else do you have?! Where do you keep hearing these terrible sounds?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    The guitars from the Alvarez Masterworks series are worth a look. All-solid tonewoods. Hand-crafted (in China) - but generally with a very good build quality and attention to detail. The Masterworks series emerged from the relationship between Alvarez and the Japanese luthier K. Yairi.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    Thomas_k said:
    Th4fonz said:
    I would keep your martin and get saving and just buy a d 18 or d28 whether you want hog or rosewood.  As that price range your not going to be gaining anything over what youve got.
    That’s the conclusion I’ve come to, I’ve also got a 2003 J45 so so the sounds I’m hearing from these cheapish guitars aren’t what I’m looking for. I think it’s best to save the penny’s and get a decent Martin 
    If you are looking for something different to your Martin and Gibson, can I suggest you check out Larrivee. Their L shape just has something in my opinion. 
  • I’ve a solid wood Sigma ,very nice guitar.In your price range.Well worth a test drive if you can,good luck.
  • Thomas_kThomas_k Frets: 2
    I’ve a solid wood Sigma ,very nice guitar.In your price range.Well worth a test drive if you can,good luck.
    What one is it ? I’ve tied a few sigmas really good guitars for the money 
  • Thomas_k said:
    I’ve a solid wood Sigma ,very nice guitar.In your price range.Well worth a test drive if you can,good luck.
    What one is it ? I’ve tied a few sigmas really good guitars for the money 
    It’s a 00028vs 12 fret and a great all round guitar.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I build guitars and do use solid back and sides - but I would fully agree with some of the comments above about not discounting laminate back and sides.  The back can sometimes make a difference to the acoustic volume but the tone is ALL about the quality of top and bracing.

If you're going for new and can get to a large store, tell the guys what sound you're after but don't specify solid.  Then be guided by your ears.  The good (for your taste) ones from the bad (ditto) will stand out like chalk vs cheese.

And yes - I also rate Yamaha acoustics very highly. :) 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    edited April 2019
    Dude, you need to order one of these:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/eastman-e1om-limited-handmade-orchestra-model-acoustic-classic/924880

Just taken delivery of one and it’s a fantastic acoustic. All solid woods, good comfy neck and outstanding build quality. Only £499.

I got mine through Gak and they are offering all sorts of great/crazy finance deals (24months interest free, mental, that’s £20 a month).

Will do a  NGD shortly, lighting isn’t great for photos this eve. Was one of those don’t think about it, just do it purchases and the gamble has more than paid off.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    You will have to search them out, but there are a couple of Furch guitars at or near your price range. Solid tops and laminate is pretty much order of the day at that price, but they do sound very good and not just for the money.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I'm not quite understanding why you're looking for an all solid wood mahogany dred, cheap or not, when you already have a Martin and a Gibson already?

Is this to be a beater guitar for travel/pub etc?
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Been around the houses with this, best acoustic in that price range for me remains the Seagull S6. Blows many all solid guitars in the mid price bracket away, especially (controversially) now the spec has changed to longer scale. About to post a NGD for my QIT version.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    A “2”series Larrivee might be within your price range and will be way ahead of any other suggestion here.  Great guitars
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    My Blueridge BR163 OOO is great. They have a dreadnought version.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/254193569092
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Pre 1980's guild widebody or for superb bottom end and volume a simon&patrick cedar top thats a few years old,,,,,                  they are laminated back and sides but will knock the spots off a 2 grand+ Taylor
    When logic and proportion