Whammy octave up with less noise - any alternatives?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
edited April 2019 in FX
Hey up, thinking of chucking in my Whammy because it doesn't seem to play nice with the electric in my house and is noisy as hell, but is there a viable alternative that'll be any better?

Boss ps6 or the Beringer version? TC sub n up? Is the ricochet the same as the Whammy for noise? 

It's for the Jack White octave up solo sound, so to go before a fuzz (when I find one that is cheap enough that sounds ok)

I do use the doubled octave down on it too but that is easier to do with other stuff. The  Whammy on the gsp1101 doesn't seem great.

eBay suggests I might get £70 to play with if I sell the Whammy

Thanks in advance

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    What whammy is it and where is it in your signal path?

They are very quiet pedals and are still the best at what they do. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    edited April 2019
    Whammy five. Does it everywhere in the chain, but needs to be before the fuzz if I have it at all

Not to worry, I'll just have to accept it's not for me then
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Maybe try a pitchfork?

The sub n up is ok....

Or maybe get an octave fuzz?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Octave fuzz doesn't work as that just doubles the octave, I use it on the transposing setting.

Will have a look at the Pitchfork, hopefully find one locally I can bring home to try first as weird stuff happens to pedals here
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I had a Ricochet that also introduced a bit of noise when in momentary mode (I.e. buffer on). That’s why I sold mine, though in latching mode it’s true bypass and was quiet. That was with Cioks power - some pedals just didn’t like the buffered output of it,
    edited April 2019
    The Whammy sounds like a sort of radio interference, it's rather annoying. That plus the bloody horrible static noises I have with everything else drives my ears insane 

I wish I didn't dislike acoustic
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26956
    Have you tried a different power supply? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TC Sub n Up is a fantatsic pedal with effectively a preset thanks to toneprint. It replaced EHX Pog 2 on my board for ease of use
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    I use an independent power supply with my whammy 4 and never had any noise issues. But sometimes the electrics in a house can be a bugger too
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs