Cheap Blue Sky alternatives

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
edited April 2019 in FX
Heard a Strymon Blue Sky for the first time (as far as I know) just a few days ago and was blown away. Sounded fantastic. I'm not normally a fan of a lot of reverb and certainly previously wondered how any pedal could be worth its considerable asking price - I certainly couldn't bring myself to part with the £400 ish that the Strymon costs.

I know very little about reverb pedals but a bit of YouTube research would suggest that there's a 'shimmer' parameter which gives that glorious slightly choir-y sound. Have I got that right?

I see the TC Electronic Fluorescence (at about £43) also has a 'shimmer' control, and sounds pretty reasonable but it's hard to tell through my tiny (tinny?) laptop speakers. First appearances suggest that it's simplicity itself to use.

Obviously I need to get out there and try a few. Anything else (sub £150) that I should be looking at. The fewer knobs the better and preferably a small footprint.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Blue sky goes for about 200 second hand. Have seen as low as 170 on one rare occasion. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9577
    edited April 2019
    Digitech Polara has a nice shimmer (amongst some other good reverbs), can be found used for about £75. Only 4 knobs (one is actually a mode switch) and MXR-sized.

The Strymon Blue Sky and Big Sky are two different things, at different prices.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    Fender Marine Layer reverb is only £89 new and I've seen them cheaper on eBay. Stunning sound quality for the price, and the two special settings are both lovely - one modulated, one shimmer. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • If it’s just the shimmer thing your after well, got to be honest think the blue sky is hands down the best pedal you’ll get for that sound, particularly if you want studio quality. Or the Mercury 7 Meris.

The other verbs on the blue sky are are solid and decent but ultimately not overly inspiring. I think it’s better worked into the fx loop of an amp fully wet.  There are better cheaper pedals that do your springs, plates and room reverbs.  I’ve tried them all pretty much. Red Panda Context is a good all rounder though not that cheap. mad professor kosmos great too with the hold/freeze function enhancing the shimmer.

if you’re after a closeish shimmer sound I think line6’s reverbs on the M5 pedal upwards are very very worth considering. As are all the other reverbs on the line6. They go for £50 second hand which is frankly madness.

Ive grown to learn that when playing in a band reverb isn’t that much of a necessity as it gets lost in the mix ultimately. You never need as much as you think.

its taken me a good few years and about £2000 to learn that the hard way!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Zoom MS-70CDR is worth a look.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    A cheap alternative that will shimmer is the Behringer RV600 reverb machine. It's only like £25 so always worth a punt. I really like mine, but sometimes fully wet adds a shade of clipping/distortion. I've heard other [say this happens, but also people who've not experienced it. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    The Zoom stuff is so incredibly versatile it's always a good punt.  You got a lot for your money.  Cheaper than the Blue Sky (but not by all that much) is the Keeley Caverns 2.  A really nice shimmer on that.  Plus you get superb delay as well.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    If you want a polara pm me, it’s a good pedal but I’m not sure I need mine and it is nearly new (bar the toddler who keeps trying to ‘use’ daddies pedals). :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    EHX Oceans 11. Prices oddly vary but £120 would get you one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.