Gradually getting the hang of recording.

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited April 2019 in Studio & Recording

Been at this most days since i picked my Recording stuff up the month before last.

With the help of the Sub-Forum, I've been able to improve my mastering, get rid of the weird chorusy effects and envelope filter type artifacts I've been experiencing.

Not lots or anything, but i think it's better than a month ago.

So this is 2 guitars tracked separately with different amp settings (actually different amp channels) and some dual delay run from the amp slave out into separate channels of the interface.

It's possibly a bit too wet in terms of delay, and i've maybe gone from being too bassy and murky to the opposite end of the spectrum, but constructive criticism is welcome. All i want to do is improve.

https://soundcloud.com/user-711995847/youth-gone-wild-eq-practice/s-AN3X0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Its a good feeling when it starts to come together.
    My own experience is that 'stacked' guitars get a bit lost in the full mix, well, not lost, but hard to define.
    The revelation comes when you get bass and drums right, guitars have to leave space for the lows, which yours seem ok for, and it is amazing how much of the 20-20k spectrum a full kit recording covers--
    Did you end up using Reaper?, whatever you use, I find the EQ makes everything possible.
    I would concentrate on getting a good tight rhythm track down, without reverb, can always put it on--cant take it off.
    then maybe a double with a different tone, which can be panned, and EQd different to the other.
    and then look at what your drum and bass will be doing--guitars get whats left--leaving room for vox on top.
    keep it up.
    cheers
    andy k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited April 2019

@andy_k,

Panned Left is my PRS with high output BKP's into the normal channel of the SLO in crunch mode with the Gain dimed, Bass around 5, mids around 2, treble around 5 and Presence at 8.

Panned Right is My Bacchus with high ouput Gemini HB into the OD channel with gain halfway, Bass at 3, mids at 5, treble at 6 and presence at 4.

4 tracks per side, each track put thru an IR. The 4 tracks on a given side are all the same cab/speaker combo IR with different mics and positions. the initial 3 tracks are dry, the4th track on each side is a 100% wet delay track that can be dialled up or down. Reverb is a VST plugin.

I've set up the 4 tracks per side going into a parent track (bus?) per side so i can control the balance more easily and there's an EQ per parent track.

found a trick online for EQ'ing where I set a band really narrow, bump the gain to max and sweep along looking for unpleasant overtones and harmonics, then cut a few db. Also got high and low pass filters set up.

on the master track there's some super light compression and reverb

I did end up using Reaper, like it a lot, but waiting until version 6 comes out before paying for it.

Looking into buying a cheapie bass guitar and a Pad controller so i can get some drums and bass in there.

Really though, at this point i just want to get it sounding pleasant enough so i can do a demo vid of my Amp and a NOS tube comparison vid.

Sounds like you know where you are going with it, I would never have guessed 8 guitar tracks, look me up on soundcloud -andy k1-, if you want to have a listen to what i'm doing with reaper, midi backing tracks and VST stuff, 
    Theres no limitations for using reaper unpaid, I used it for a week, last summer, and just paid to get rid of the nag screen, I knew there and then it was worth spending time on, as opposed to keeping my pro tools subscription running.
    Try importing a midi bass line, just look one up online, and use Ample sound free bass VST, really good basic P bass sound, and then look up MT power drumkit, another free one, or SSD5 has a demo, which also sounds great,
    then you have the chance of using a multi channel kit, which can be EQd like a real one, and a bass line--to fit your guitars around.
    I've just done a 10 track set of Tool/ APC, all with VST instruments, Spitfire LABS strings and drums are good freebies too.
    good luck
    andy k
    BTW, if you do listen to my stuff, I'd suggest, Sweeney, and Catpeeple, both have my guitars recorded.
    I have started using my pedals, with a splitter in front and a Mooer Radar at the end, so i get a DI and a distortion track, with IRs from the Radar, and then I use amp sims/ Irs on the DI, and mix maybe 4 tracks.
    Sweeney was a demo idea for my band, and Catpeeple is just trying to get a mix right with a lot of string instruments (LABS)

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    TBH I reckon you could have got almost the same effect with just 2 guitars....not sure why you would want 8 takes ?

If I want a bigger or wider sound I normally get away with 2 panned guitars, then maybe another 2 using a Capo, which seems to add some harmonic value.

I also found the demo really loud, I wouldn't worry about getting into loudness wars just yet...leave some headroom for mastering.

Recording is good fun, and you seem to be getting into it !

You can check out my stuff here...

https://soundcloud.com/spark240

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited April 2019
    andy_k said:
    Sounds like you know where you are going with it, I would never have guessed 8 guitar tracks, look me up on soundcloud -andy k1-, if you want to have a listen to what i'm doing with reaper, midi backing tracks and VST stuff, 
    Theres no limitations for using reaper unpaid, I used it for a week, last summer, and just paid to get rid of the nag screen, I knew there and then it was worth spending time on, as opposed to keeping my pro tools subscription running.
    Try importing a midi bass line, just look one up online, and use Ample sound free bass VST, really good basic P bass sound, and then look up MT power drumkit, another free one, or SSD5 has a demo, which also sounds great,
    then you have the chance of using a multi channel kit, which can be EQd like a real one, and a bass line--to fit your guitars around.
    I've just done a 10 track set of Tool/ APC, all with VST instruments, Spitfire LABS strings and drums are good freebies too.
    good luck
    andy k

I'll give you a look up later today mate

Yeah, I've run out the 60 day trial period and it's still working but I'm happy to pay for it TBH. They rely on good will and they've provided an excellent DAW.

Got MT Power Drumkit already, someone mentioned a while ago i could assign computer keyboard keys (might have been you?) to use it rather than trying to program drum parts. I thought MT could be assigned to individual channels and EQ'd like a real kit as well?

spark240 said:
    TBH I reckon you could have got almost the same effect with just 2 guitars....not sure why you would want 8 takes ?

If I want a bigger or wider sound I normally get away with 2 panned guitars, then maybe another 2 using a Capo, which seems to add some harmonic value.

I also found the demo really loud, I wouldn't worry about getting into loudness wars just yet...leave some headroom for mastering.

Recording is good fun, and you seem to be getting into it !

You can check out my stuff here...

https://soundcloud.com/spark240

Oh god no, i didn't do 8 takes...

I've got a Torpedo Reload. Dunno if you've used one, but you can set it up that as you're playing, through your amp and cab, it can record a dry track from a tap before the signal reaches the amp.

So, I did 2 takes, one with one guitar then one with another.

i set up 4 tracks per side (under one parent track each) with a different cab and speaker per side via IR's, then replayed a dry track back thru the amp on a loop while adjusting the EQ on the amp to get a sound i liked. different amp EQ for each side.

But basically the 4 tracks were the equivalent of mic'ing a single cab 4 times and doing a single take, with an SM57, MD421, and a room condenser mic plus a 100% wet track (also a 57). Seemed like a fairly standard setup from watching some recording vids.

The hardest, longest part was adjusting the amp's EQ because I don't have studio monitors yet, just headphones, so i couldn't just stand at the amp and listen/adjust.

Anyways, when i was ready, I re-amped one dry guitar on one set of tracks for one cab and speaker set, panned the 4 tracks hard left, then did the same for the other guitar (with different amp EQ) and the other 4 tracks, but hard right.

Once you have the template set up, it doesn't actually take any longer than recording a single track.

And yeah, was a bit loud, but there's was virtually no compression used. I record everything at -18db, use VUMT to maintain signal levels through plugins, balance left and right using the parent tracks on each side, then increase or reduce the overall volume using the master fader.

I'll try and get a screenshot of the setup, but my Mrs is on the computer.

Will also give your stuff a check