Big "pop" when switching Visual Sound Route 66 compressor - any fix?

What's Hot
ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
This is driving me bananas.  I often just use a Visual Sound Route 66 combined overdrive and compressor, and the compressor side gives a massive pop when activated and deactivated.  It seems to have started recently, the overdrive side doesn't do this.  It's pretty loud, as loud as the guitar signal really, although in the middle of a set it isn't all that obvious, it's not ideal and I'd like to solve the problem, as in all other ways the pedal is exactly what I need, and I can't find an alternative (the otherwise excellent-looking Keeley Aria doesn't use a 9v battery).

I opened it up yesterday and the footswitch arrangement is a bit rum - the actual foot pedal bits are just mechanical up-and-downers, then there's a layer of foam, then there's a large flat clicky surface-mount switch attached to a small board.  Clicking that manually still makes the big pop.

A bit like this:

Does anyone know if it's worthwhile replacing this little board with a new one?  Or does every example of this pedal make such a racket?  I gather the marketing makes something of having "silent" switching, presumably because these seem a more unconventional type of switch compared to the usual, with no direct mechanical link between the foot part and the switching part.

Advice appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Are you using other pedals? Does it do it if you only use that pedal?

How are you powering your pedals? Did you try a different power supply, or maybe batteries?
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    ^ it's just this pedal on its own, tried into a couple of different amps.  Tried two power supplies including a high current one, no difference.  Not tried a battery yet, have run out, although I do intend to run it off batteries for gigs in the future.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Send them an email.

Those switches are meant to last for a very long time according to their blurb!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Sounds like there's a DC leak developed through one of the caps that connect to the switching transistors - it's not likely to be the switch itself since it's not in the audio path. The sudden change of voltage when the DC is either grounded or not will make a loud pop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • No idea but their “lifetime guarantee” really is - at least that’s been my experience. Give them a shout.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    No idea but their “lifetime guarantee” really is - at least that’s been my experience. Give them a shout.
    ^ cool, didn’t know that. Appreciate all the replies, I’ll get in touch with Truetone.