The new Player series Strat...

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
OK ya think for money?

May go into the town Friday for a look see...
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I fancy one .May get a burst with maple neck .Looks smart .I also like the green which i sod as I usually dont like green guitars
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Here Hoots

tae be or not tae be
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    The "Spec" you get for your money is great, I have been tempted myself. Every time I hear a good review of one, I then hear a bad review of one, usually concerning set up and playability issues....ie: not great out of the box. However, I've had American ones that aren't great out of the box (they are now though).

I suppose it's nothing a good set up from a good tech can't fix should you get a "Friday" one, shouldn't have to go that route though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Never understand those concerned with the out of bix setup - kind of like buying trainers without the laces being put through. It's obviously ideal if it's already the way you want it but hardly a big deal to do it yourself.

I've not tried a Player but based on what I've read about what's changed, I personally would be more confident buying one than I would have been a Standard. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I tried one out last year when they first came out and was impressed, reminded a bit of the old US Std - similar spec. The Player is definitely a step up on the old MIM std - was never a big fan of the std, always thought the Squier CV was a better bet.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3543
    The "Spec" you get for your money is great, I have been tempted myself. Every time I hear a good review of one, I then hear a bad review of one, usually concerning set up and playability issues....ie: not great out of the box. However, I've had American ones that aren't great out of the box (they are now though).

I suppose it's nothing a good set up from a good tech can't fix should you get a "Friday" one, shouldn't have to go that route though.
    Yep. Bought an American Pro last year. Needed a fret dress straight away, nut tidied up, etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Octafish said:
    I tried one out last year when they first came out and was impressed, reminded a bit of the old US Std - similar spec. The Player is definitely a step up on the old MIM std - was never a big fan of the std, always thought the Squier CV was a better bet.
    When was the best years for the Squier CV? I've heard they are a bit hit and miss of late. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    thegummy said:
    Never understand those concerned with the out of bix setup - kind of like buying trainers without the laces being put through. It's obviously ideal if it's already the way you want it but hardly a big deal to do it yourself.

I've not tried a Player but based on what I've read about what's changed, I personally would be more confident buying one than I would have been a Standard. 
    When I mentioned the Out of the Box set up....I didn't mean "Not to ones preference", I meant "It shouldn't have left the Factory like that". Of course everyone sets up even a "QC Acceptable" Guitar to their taste.Greatape said:

Yep. Bought an American Pro last year. Needed a fret dress straight away, nut tidied up, etc. 
    Both my New Am Std Teles needed setting up on the Nut and frets. This may cause ructions, but a Guitar Tech I use would always advise a Fret Dress on mass produced Guitars.

Yeah, I know, Guitar Tech....Give me your Money etc, but I have noticed a night and day difference in playability with my NEW Guitars before and after a Fret Dress.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

When I mentioned the Out of the Box set up....I didn't mean "Not to ones preference", I meant "It shouldn't have left the Factory like that". Of course everyone sets up even a "QC Acceptable" Guitar to their taste.Greatape said:

Both my New Am Std Teles needed setting up on the Nut and frets. This may cause ructions, but a Guitar Tech I use would always advise a Fret Dress on mass produced Guitars.

Yeah, I know, Guitar Tech....Give me your Money etc, but I have noticed a night and day difference in playability with my NEW Guitars before and after a Fret Dress.
    I think the reason I never understood the comments is because I was thinking of setup meaning bridge height and neck relief etc. Rather than even frets and properly cut nut. Those obviously aren't just a minor inconvenience.

I think my Strat (also American standard) might need one actually, I've noticed a slight buzz. My Gibson seemed to be perfect in that aspect. When I first got my Bernie Marsden I felt it needed the frets done but when I took it in the guy said it barely needed anything.

On the other hand, I don't think any of my guitars came with an ideally cut nut, I think every one has had it replaced or adjusted.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3543
    thegummy said:

Yes. The only off the shelf ones I've tried that didn't were Suhr, expensive PRS and the like. Even the PRS S2 Vela I owned briefly needed a fret dress. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My Fender replacement Tele neck needed a fret level  .A Squier affinity used for 40 quid needed one too .So did a Dot years ago .The ones that havent so far was a Classic Vibe CVC and a Gibson Midtown and Squier Joe Trohmann and a Vintage VN 99  Zip  which is astonishingly playable for a cheap weird guitar  .Also my Keiper 109 was spot on too ..I like a low action and also can do it all  my self .A  really well set up Strat is a rare commodity but well worth the bother .They play themselves and you are along for the ride .
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Fuengi said:
    Octafish said:
    When was the best years for the Squier CV? I've heard they are a bit hit and miss of late. 
    Couldn't really say, not sure there is a good year and haven't played any from last couple of years. Have played a handful and all were good, several very good (2010 Tele, 2013 Strat). Definitely impressed me more than the old MIM Stds and prefer the Squier alnicos to the ceramics in the MIMs.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    you got one of these fine guitars?

could ya do me a favour......i was a lookin' to upgrade the saddles and require a measurement for the bent steel saddle breadth, what do you get in mm?

I have a figure, i just wanna check it  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Hootsmon - i have one of these from last year (a most excellent chrimbo gift from my two boys!), an SSH version. I'll measure up the saddles for you when i get home. If you are anywhere near Stirling, you're welcome to pop over and give it shot.
    The only thing i would change is to go up a step in string gauge, and perhaps tweak the truss rod. Beyond that, fabulous guitar.

Adam