First shave in 20 years nooby question

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I've had a beard for 10 years and for about 10 years before that I used a shitty electric razor someone bought me meaning I haven't had a wet shave in about 20 years when I was a teenager and didn't really worry about it too much. So I find myself as a nearly 40 year old feeling like a kid again.

My first impression is how can people actually be arsed to do this every day, it's properly tedious.

So total noob survey how regularly do you guys shave and how many shaves do you reuse a disposable razor for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Stubble growth until it gets too irritating - usually five or six days - then shave. Repeat ad nauseam.

As you say, shaving is seriously tedious but keeping a beard tidy is no less tedious, and it can make you look like an insufferable hipster, depending on the style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    5 days a week, weekend off.......10 shaves from a Gillette 3 blade something or other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I did it for years but gave up and bought a beard trimmer to trim down the stubble about once a week. Far less hassle and not time consuming. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    edited April 2019
    If I want to stay relatively stubble free it’s 2 wet shaves a day to say it’s a pita is an understatement 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor with Astra blades.

A proper razor. 

Closer than a disposable or a fusion wotsit, And the blades cost pennies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    I’ve got a goatee but I shave the side bits every two or three days. My beard is also mostly silver/grey/white these days so the stubbly bits doesn’t actually show up that much. I’m lucky if I can get more than four or five shaves out of a disposable razor. If I try to use it beyond that it just rips my skin to bits. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Electric. It’s quick and easy, and takes less than a minute each day. I’ve had three electric razors in my life, so they must last about 15 years each. I don’t buy crap, and I don’t buy bells and whistles. Just something on the price/performance plateau.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    Got a beard at the minute, but when it's off I do  twice a week with a cut throat.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Never. Full beard since I was old enough to grow it. Hair is also down past my shoulders. I have no interest in being clean shaven ever.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 711

A proper razor. 

^ this

if you are going to shave, get a proper razor and save a ton on blades!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    brucegill said:

A proper razor. 

^ this

Are they substantially more face slicey?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I shave when the stubble gets irritating. Every 6 - 7 days.
    I use straight razors that I sharpen myself. Probably not the closest shave possible but certainly the most exhilarating. You never know when you're going to sustain serious injury.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I've been using a Braun 9296cc for about 2 years and would never willingly go back to wet shaving or using any other electric razor.  The one downside is that you have to buy clean & charge refills, but what it gives you is a sparkling clean shaver every time you use it.  The blades are amazing, with no significant tugging even if I have several days of beard growth.  I'm still on my first blade cartridge with no signs that it needs replacing yet.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    I shave once every 3 days or so, I prefer a little stubble if I'm going out as opposed to Baby's Bum as I  prefer the ruggedly handsome 80's Designer Stubble "I'm too busy writing Guitar Riffs to shave" look...that really no one notices :)

I use Gillette Fusion replaceable heads until I literally start taking my skin off and look like Chopped Liver (2 months-ish), as I am a tight fisted Yorkshireman and they cost a fortune.

I'm not really one for growing out a full tache and beard and I think a "Fashioned/Sculpted" beard/facial hair, would be more work than just shaving. Each to their own though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited April 2019
    I've always hated shaving, it irritates my skin and I can't see the point fighting something which keeps growing back anyway.

I haven't been completely clean shaven for at least the last 15 years.  I had a goatee for most of that time, for the last two years I've had a full beard - or as near as I can get to one.  It's not very thick, won't grow long and hipsterish but it looks OK.  I trim it about once a month. 

I do shave my neck once a week, with my Gillette Contour Plus which I've had since university days.  They don't make the blades any more, as far as I know, but you can get them on eBay and Amazon.  I use the blades until they're at least half a dozen shaves past their best because I'm as tight as a gnat's chuff.

I'd never use a straight razor or let anyone else near me with one.  Seen too many horror movies.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Disappointed this thread isn't about having an ultra-smooth gooch. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Disappointed this thread isn't about having an ultra-smooth gooch
    I had to google that.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    He mostly wore a Tache, didn't he?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    He mostly wore a Tache, didn't he?
    And a "hair system".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 711
    brucegill said:

A proper razor. 

^ this

Are they substantially more face slicey?
    I worried about that when I started using them, but I think I’ve cut my self less than with a multi blade Gillette I used to use. Yes, you can cut your self, but it seems easier bizarrely. Also don’t get ingrown hairs like I used to. The price saving is insane.