NBD

What's Hot
martmart Frets: 5205
edited April 2019 in Bass
Just picked this up earlier today from @lamf68’s paintshop.
I haven’t wanted to play bass so much for ages. :)
Built by @GSPBASSES. It’s very nice.
https://i.imgur.com/LdFIR7S_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/tlOoooO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Very nice and the Ampeg head is a great match. Are you familiar with long scale fretless? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    JezWynd said:
    Very nice and the Ampeg head is a great match. Are you familiar with long scale fretless? 
    It does indeed go very well with the Ampeg. :)

The scale length is just the standard 34”, and yes, I’m very familiar with fretless - over 25 years ago I switched to playing fretless almost exclusively, and have never regretted it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Yeah, fretless gives you a lot more notes to play with  ;). I started playing fretless a few months back and now fretted seems a bit boring in comparison. I do find learning new stuff a challenge though. That's a great paint job, good enough to eat.
    I saw Alan Thompson playing with John Martyn back around 1990, and it made me realize that fretless gave exactly the sounds I want from a bass.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Lovely
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited April 2019
    Very pretty . There’s something really classy about a piece of plain unmarked ebony that size...

Does it actually say Fretless on the headstock? I can‘t quite see in the pic.

Volume/volume or volume/tone with both pickups permanently on?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2019
    ICBM said:
    Very pretty . There’s something really classy about a piece of plain unmarked ebony that size...

Does it actually say Fretless on the headstock? I can‘t quite see in the pic.

Volume/volume or volume/tone with both pickups permanently on?
    Yes, the decal says Fretless - a bit cheesy, but all the alternative replacements for the F****r word were worse. I’m kicking myself for not putting “imprecision bass” in the small print as that describes my playing perfectly. 

The controls are volume and blend. I never use tone pots on bass - I use my fingers to control the sound, either by playing close to the bridge or over the neck. And I find a blend control works best for the rare occasions when I do need to change the pickup balance, but nearly always it stays at the centre position.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    mart said:

Yes, the decal says Fretless - a bit cheesy, but all the alternative replacements for the F****r word were worse. I’m kicking myself for not putting “imprecision bass” in the small print as that describes my playing perfectly.
    lol

At least it's not actually a fretless 'Precision' :).

I think it's cool, not cheesy.

mart said:

The controls are volume and blend. I never use tone pots on bass - I use my fingers to control the sound, either by playing close to the bridge or over the neck. And I find a blend control works best for the rare occasions when I do need to change the pickup balance, but nearly always it stays at the centre position.
    I wondered about that too, but didn't bother to write it. I very rarely use the tone pots either - in fact on my Rick 4001 I've changed the bridge tone control to a 'vintage cap' control, so it can be either 'vintage' or 'modern', which makes a big difference with fuzz sounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I wondered about that too, but didn't bother to write it. I very rarely use the tone pots either - in fact on my Rick 4001 I've changed the bridge tone control to a 'vintage cap' control, so it can be either 'vintage' or 'modern', which makes a big difference with fuzz sounds.
    To be fair, I don’t use fuzz or any kind of drive or distortion - strictly clean sounds only for me. But I can see that you would need some sort of tone control if you do, even if that is just a simple switch.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    ICBM said:
    At least it's not actually a fretless 'Precision' :).
    Oi! Cheek!  :3
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265