NGD: Chapman ML3 Traditional Semi Hollow

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Ideally I wanted a Friedman Vintage T with P90s but don't have the budget it for it...

So I bought this Chapman ML3 Traditional Semi Hollow last week, it's place is backup to my Gibson Custom Shop Goldtop Les Paul with P90s.

I like it. The stainless steel fretwork is outstanding, highly polished and perfectly level and very well dressed, reminds me of a Fender American Deluxe Strat I owned years ago that had extra detailing attention to the fretwork. The satin finish on the roasted maple neck front and back feels superb and is very silky to play. The neck is wider than the Gibson but fairly chunky, it reminds me a of the Fender Custom Shop 10/56 carve, it's in that zone.

The P90 pickups are hotter than the Gibson P90s in my Goldtop, they measure 8.8K where the Gibson are 7.8K. They sound very good and the video below is a very accurate representation of how they sound.

The bridge pickup doesn't quite sit horizontally with the body top which bugs me slightly, I need to remove and play with the foam or whatever is underneath pushing it up against the screws to adjust it...a bit OCD, I know.

The body is light and a nice honey flame colour but the production model lacks the red flame edge sunburst hue of the prototype Rob Chapman has in the vid, which is a shame as I think it looks a little better.

The locking tuners are really good quality and tuning is very stable, the reverse headstock doesn't annoy me like I thought it might and from the players point of view is soon adjusted to.

The only niggles and things that give away that it's a mass Asian build are the saddle height screws are all the same height so the outer saddle screws are quite exposed and sharp on the palm. The volume knob is quite close to the strings and I catch it when playing, and the knobs are knurled with indentations and the top rim is quite sharp, I would prefer regular speed knobs, plus the tone pot sounds like linear taper to me and only starts to work when dialled down to about 5, I would prefer a volume taper pot with tone roll most at the top end from 10-6. Also, the nut edges are a little sharp and could do with filing off for comfort. All in all pretty minor niggles.

I'm pretty pleased with it, and it does sound good, I don't love it yet, but may grow to the more I hear it as it does sound damn good, in fact with the higher output pickups the overdriven sounds are immediately more satisfying that the Les Paul which takes a bit more dialling in and a bit more preamp gain to reach the same level of overdrive.

Pics:

https://youtu.be/g6-lbepTsrk

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    Do I need to wear long cargo shorts, get some 'tats, become a vegetarian and call everyone "dude" now?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Nah. That's kid's stuff.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2321
    That is their best model imo. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269

The body is light and a nice honey flame colour but the production model lacks the red flame edge sunburst hue of the prototype Rob Chapman has in the vid, which is a shame as I think it looks a little better.

Actualy I think yours looks better, more natural. Nice guitar anyway, can see from the pics the quality is there.
    Still can't get over the reverse headstock on these, although it doesn't look as bad as reversed prs headstock on the silver sky :D Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Happy NGD! Hope it inspires creative tones, enjoy :-) 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3317
    The path to the dark side is complete.   Chapman is your father.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The path to the dark side is complete.   Chapman is your father.  
    Zoinks!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    Nice guitar. This is the only Chapman that has appealed to me & even then I'm not that keen on the colour or reverse headstock but I do think they are really maximising the quality now available from asia. Kudos to them for that. 

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Not a guitar related question I know but what's the story behind the cricket ball and ashes trophy replica? Do you play?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    zepp76 said:
    Not a guitar related question I know but what's the story behind the cricket ball and ashes trophy replica? Do you play?

I love England Test cricket, especially the home Ashes, I don't play but am a keen armchair fan and like collecting uniquely English things such as the Duke & Son ball. The replica Urn is from Australia though as Cricket Australia are the only official retailer!

There is nothing finer that a warm sunny day on the freshly mown lawn with Test Match Special on the Dab radio as the BBQ sizzles, with a cider in hand to the sound of distant lawnmowers and small planes flying over and a gently breeze rustling the leaves in the trees.

I've got tickets for a day at The Ashes this summer as well, not been before so I'm looking forward to that, just hoping for a dry day.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3319
    When I read your opening post requirements I immediately thought of the fender Jim Adkins model.  The chapman looks nice though. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:

I love England Test cricket, especially the home Ashes, I don't play but am a keen armchair fan and like collecting uniquely English things such as the Duke & Son ball. The replica Urn is from Australia though as Cricket Australia are the only official retailer!

There is nothing finer that a warm sunny day on the freshly mown lawn with Test Match Special on the Dab radio as the BBQ sizzles, with a cider in hand to the sound of distant lawnmowers and small planes flying over and a gently breeze rustling the leaves in the trees.

I've got tickets for a day at The Ashes this summer as well, not been before so I'm looking forward to that, just hoping for a dry day.

That sounds great, before my spinal operation myself and two friends would go down to the local cricket grounds and play, one wicket keeper a batsman and bowler. We'd take bottles of red wine with us and some naughty cigarettes and have a great time knocking a ball about, great times.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    That looks nice tbh, the natural finish is growing on me.  Nice score, Happy NGD!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    Happy NGD.

I like Chapman guitars, my next guitar purchase will almost certainly be some kind of Chapman.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12319
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:

That sounds great, before my spinal operation myself and two friends would go down to the local cricket grounds and play, one wicket keeper a batsman and bowler. We'd take bottles of red wine with us and some naughty cigarettes and have a great time knocking a ball about, great times.
    Jumpers for stumps...

I quite like cricket, went to the Oval on a corporate day a couple of years ago, was a great day.  Done a few 20/20s at the Rose Bowl near Zepp.

The semi hollow is the nicest Chapman I've seen I think.  Probably still not for me but looks good.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The size and position of the volume knob looks, shall we say, ill conceived?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    The size and position of the volume knob looks, shall we say, ill conceived?

It's actually not as close as a Strat to be fair, the only issue I have with it is the indentations of the speed knob, I would prefer a smooth one.

• XandoorXandoor Frets: 6
    The Chapman can of worms has been opened once more...

Seriously thought that looks really nice, you could probably replace the knobs if you like, might change the look rather a lot though. up to you, man. 

Happy NGD <3
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Happy NGD

I must admit it's grown on me more since I looked at it this morning. I think the rim burst is actually nicer than the prototype in the video.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    That looks great. I've only had good experiences with Chapman's, that one's been on the list for a while. Hope you enjoy!