Acoustic seems to sound better with a capo

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
edited April 2019 in Acoustics
I used a capo recently as I was feeling lazy and didn't want to play in B Flat and I noticed the instrument seemed to sound better somehow, and easier to play. To check it wasn't just the elevated pitch, I tuned the guitar down a semi tone then capo on 1st fret again so it played at standard pitch, and it still sounded better than normal.

Is this likely to be that an adjustment to the nut is required? 

Hard to describe the difference but the low strings were less boomy, the B string stayed better in tune ie between open and tuned there was less difference somehow.

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    Could be your nut is a little high - are fretted notes on the first couple of frets sounding sharp?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    It could either be that the nut is too high as stickyfiddle said, or that the nut grooves are too tight for the strings and deadening the vibration slightly - it's not true that they need to be cut to the same width as the strings, they should be wider. If they're too tight they actually affect the intonation slightly too, because the string is not perfectly flexible where it leaves the groove.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    It's reasonably common for recording acoustic guitar to tune it down a semitone or a tone and take it back up to concert pitch using a capo. I think the idea is that it makes the sound 'drier' and less resonant. It can often make it all seem a bit more focused for sure.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    I also prefer the sound of my acoustics when they're capo'd. It's applies to all of them - a 1966 Gibson J50, a John Hullah 00 and a 12 string Daion. I think its something about the short scale isn't it? There's more (or less) tension and this changes the dynamic of the playing and the sound itself. It just seems more responsive to me - like I have to do less to make it sound good. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited May 2019
    I prefer the sound of a capo’d acoustic too
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    domforr said:
    I also prefer the sound of my acoustics when they're capo'd. It's applies to all of them - a 1966 Gibson J50, a John Hullah 00 and a 12 string Daion. I think its something about the short scale isn't it? There's more (or less) tension and this changes the dynamic of the playing and the sound itself. It just seems more responsive to me - like I have to do less to make it sound good. 
    Mine is already short scale though! But yes certainly sounds better. If the most bizarre series of events were to occur where I ended up as an acoustic guitar maker, I'd move all the fretboard markers one fret higher so it works with a capo
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • songmansongman Frets: 5
    Yep, same here, prefer the sound when capo'd on the second fret.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    thecolourbox said:
    Mine is already short scale though! But yes certainly sounds better. If the most bizarre series of events were to occur where I ended up as an acoustic guitar maker, I'd move all the fretboard markers one fret higher so it works with a capo
    I agree about the latter.  

I also play flamenco guitar, which is a style of play where players use capos and the lack of fretboard/neck markers do actually make it a little less confusing than having fretboard markers on a steel string guitar. 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 242
    I agree I always played alot with a capo,  And felt I wrote more songs when using one.