PSA: Announcing the new Yamaha FG/ FS Red Label

What's Hot
We just launched a new range of guitars. I'm yet to actually play these but from what I hear they're pretty awesome. 

Should be in selected stores in a few weeks. Check em out y'all. 

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/ac_guitars/fg_redlabel/index.html#product-tabs

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Yes please. They look good 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    We just launched a new range of guitars. I'm yet to actually play these but from what I hear they're pretty awesome. 

Should be in selected stores in a few weeks. Check em out y'all. 

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/ac_guitars/fg_redlabel/index.html#product-tabs
    The Yamaha FG3&FS3 is £799 at GuitarGuitar.  The FGX,FSX are £975.

I came across a few videos of the new series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ApsWhsq-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs6r-B7SlnY

It might seem like a fair old chunk but I've heard the Japan Yamaha acoustics are really superb.  I'm really tempted by the FS3, mainly down to my experience of the older FS model I had a while back.  It was the cheapest MIC model but the amount of abuse I gave the guitar, mainly for using alternate tunings the neck was always stable. 
    I’m very excited about putting the FG5 up against one of my classic FGs. Some great guitars being released this year!
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    Specs- and price-wise, I’m quite impressed—very eager to play an FG5 in particular.

Ross, any word what the neck profiles are like? I recently had a ca. 2000 LL400, which sounded superb—but I couldn’t get along with the V-shaped neck.
    Oh man if it’s a V That would be awesome 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I'd be interested in an FG
    Any news on these yet?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Andy79 said:
    Any news on these yet?
    GuitarGuitar have them, I think only 2 shops have them just the 3 series.  

I'm planning a trip to the Yamaha Store in London at some point to try the 3 & 5 series when they are in stock. 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Andy79 said:
    Any news on these yet?
    Sorry just seen this. Yes they have shipped. Not massive quantities but they are out there. You should find some in GuitarGuitar, PMT and Yamaha Music London. The 5's are on the way but super limited. I think less than 10 are coming and some of those are already sold. They will be very few and far between for the forseeable. 

I did get to play one at my GG clinic recently. I was really surprised by pretty much everything. The tone was massive. Really big and warm but with a nice cut. It sounded old (good old of course). Then I plugged it in and messed with the new Atmosfeel pickup. Sounded like the guitar but louderer with some eq tweakability. Well worth checking out.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Can anyone explain the numbering system on Yamaha acoustics? I see endless second-hand guitars with a model number that starts 'FG' but I'm buggered if I can understand how the number relates to the quality or style of the guitar.
    Stuckfast said:
    Can anyone explain the numbering system on Yamaha acoustics? I see endless second-hand guitars with a model number that starts 'FG' but I'm buggered if I can understand how the number relates to the quality or style of the guitar.
    It’s not quite as simple as it may seem but to give you a very brief idea here goes. 

FG180 was the first acoustic we made. After that there have been variations to the FG range right up to the latest 800 series. There was a 50th anniversary FG180 a few years ago that was limited edition and all sold out. That was killer. 

As as far as the latest range goes, yiu go from the FG800 up to the 850. They are all of equal quality and feature set but have different woods and cosmetics. The FG is folk or dreadnaught body but you will also see the FS which is the smaller concert size. Same deal with the range numbers. 

In addition to this there is the FGX/ FSX range. Same models, same woods etc but all are electro acoustic. 

The new FG Red Label is something different. Yes it’s technically part of the FG range but much more upmarket. It’s for the player that had an FG, loved it but want something a bit more upmarket. We developed a new pickup system and gave the whole thing a more vintage vibe. The whole thing oozes quality. There is a Japanese version as I said earlier, it’s one of those things that if you want it you’ll have to get your name down. 

Ive most likely missed something. I’m on my phone and my dog is snoring on my knee so apologies. 

Just to add a bit on classic FGs, from the 1966 to 1981 period, identified by a truss rod cover on the headstock. Later FGs have access through the soundhole. The FG-150 and FG-180 were first produced in 1966 in Japan only. There then followed a pleather of models. GENERALLY the higher the model number, the higher the original selling price. Most all were all laminate but not conventional laminate, more like 3 layered tone wood, to stop the export guitars from cracking. Solid tops had a S after the model FG365S, for example. FG300 is probably the flagship dread. The 180 has a special cult following thanks mainly to Elliot Smith using one. They are not a poor mans Martin as some say, they’ve got a voice all of their own. They are lightly braced and well constructed 
    They are, by the way, all fantastic. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Right, thanks. I think part of what's confusing is that other manufacturers use the 'folk guitar' designation for small-bodied models as opposed to dreadnoughts. Are the FS models similar from a quality point of view?
    Stuckfast said:
    Right, thanks. I think part of what's confusing is that other manufacturers use the 'folk guitar' designation for small-bodied models as opposed to dreadnoughts. Are the FS models similar from a quality point of view?
    Exactly the same. Just smallerer. 

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I was watching Jarvis, the Singapore Guitar Spa guy, demoing the FG5  - sounded great. My current acoustic is an FG380 and I love it. If I won the lottery I'd definitely be trying out one of the new FG Reds.
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    Reviving this thread: I just purchased an FG5 (the first used one I saw for sale here in the States. Perfectly made and excellent sounding—a real vintage-sounding voice very much in the direction of a D-18. Sadly, however, it does indeed have a V-neck—a relatively soft one, but I don’t get on with V-necks at all, so that’s pretty much a dealbreaker for me. It’s a real pity as I like almost everything else about the guitar (I don’t care for the satin finish, but that’s a minor point and wouldn’t have stopped me from keeping it if I could get on with the neck).
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I tried a FG3 a few weeks ago on a guitar hunt nice guitar but bought an Eastman instead. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    seems like there's alot of overlap in yamaha's acoustic range as these are competing with the L Series acoustics. How are these different?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Branshen said:
    seems like there's alot of overlap in yamaha's acoustic range as these are competing with the L Series acoustics. How are these different?
    It looks like the L-series is being blown out most places with some pretty deep discounts... wonder if it's hitting the end of the line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    polotska said:
    Reviving this thread: I just purchased an FG5 (the first used one I saw for sale here in the States. Perfectly made and excellent sounding—a real vintage-sounding voice very much in the direction of a D-18. Sadly, however, it does indeed have a V-neck—a relatively soft one, but I don’t get on with V-necks at all, so that’s pretty much a dealbreaker for me. It’s a real pity as I like almost everything else about the guitar (I don’t care for the satin finish, but that’s a minor point and wouldn’t have stopped me from keeping it if I could get on with the neck).
    Are you planning to move it along?