Another Landr Question....

What's Hot
Hello folks. While I appreciate the art form of recording, mixing, and mastering using the best equipment available, I have been thinking of sprucing up a few home demos as an "introduction" to the world via bandcamp. As in: "here is me, here are some demos recorded at home, more to come..." The aim being to record some other tracks down the line properly. I've been through that process and see the advantages of someone who's good with a mic.
All my demo acoustic and vocals were recorded on a Shure SM58 Beta, the rest, plugins.
I trialled Landr and noticed a difference with some of my home recordings, so am thinking of using it to master a few tracks to stream online. I would clearly title them as home demos.
Landr? Too good to be true?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I reckon they are perfectly acceptable for home demos. Landr mastering is better than no mastering. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Very true!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Yeah, absolutely. Really it's only worth paying for mastering if the amount you pay is some combination of an investment that will be repaid in extra sales from the more presentable work, or money you're happy to spend on your art for your own piece of mind.

With home demos, it's kind of hard to justify expense as being either of those since mastering simply won't be the quality bottleneck most of the time. So give landr a go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    @Cirrus Yep. I plan on recording something properly soon, so will go to someone with the right gear. That, I would pay for decent mastering, as it would be something to use with an EPK or send to a radio station etc, with the objective of trying to get some play. 
    With my home stuff, just as an intro, but at some bit better quality than just Reaper...
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    I like LANDR for what it is, having watched a whole bunch of videos on the subject of online mastering tools vs mastering engineers, for what I wanted to achieve (make my recordings sound better and of course louder) to make them something I could publish on Spotify, iTunes etc.. knowing that I'll never get that money back.

I posted the link to the recordings here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/153977/releasing-something-made-ten-years-ago if you wanted to take a listen. 

All mixed (and re-recorded) at home apart from the drum symbols and vocals (vocals recorded in a cupboard ten years ago!)
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    Don’t underestimate getting a good limiter and using that.... 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I tried Landr and it just made my songs louder, though to be fair perhaps my source material wasn't good enough
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    fabfilter plugins are the best bang for the buck, once you try them, you will realise.( 30 day demo)
    If you want to pay someone else to make it work once, fair play-learning experience,
    but with pro q 3, you can solve a lot of problems at mixing stage, proMB takes care of mix comp, and pro L is all you need for mastering stage, if loudness is what you want.
    I also recommend loudness penalty website for the realisation that one size doesnt fit all, big differences across platforms, 
    YMMV
    cheers 
    andy k
  • Ozone by Izotope is a great tool especially if you're just wanting to get demos touched up quick etc