Oil City Pickups: First view of new workshop

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Well its a large, bare space at the moment, but it's five times the work space we've had to date. 
Paint, shelving and benches to be added, along with more strip lighting, plug points, and extraction for the laser cutter. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Glad to see you found somewhere!
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    TateFX said:
    Glad to see you found somewhere!
    yep ... it's pretty well ideal for us ... 20 mins walk from my home, a couple of minutes from Leyton tube station ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Superb :) 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    Once you move in there business should      pickup

I'll get me coat.....
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Jimbro66 said:
    Once you move in there business should      pickup

I'll get me coat.....
    Wind your neck in with jokes like that...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    The first day of the great Oil City Pickups move is done ... and everything is in. Piles of boxes .... benches still flat-packed

Sunday ... day two ... will be shelving out the walls and building the benches up. Once the gear is stowed the four workshop computers can be setup: one for CAD drawing, digital oscilloscope software and printing, one each for the computer auto/manual winding machines, and one for orders and as general backup. The phone system will be next, and probably racking for test guitars and stock storage areas. 
    Our aim is to be running production again by Tuesday or Wednesday. :-)    

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Wot? No intra-venous espresso machine?  :o
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    No, but we do have an upstairs kitchen with a coffee machine, and a courtyard garden with pub style tables for summer work breaks :-)

• m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    No, but we do have an upstairs kitchen with a coffee machine, and a courtyard garden with pub style tables for summer work breaks :-)
    So what you're really saying, is although you've moved to bigger premises, production won't actually increase as you'll either be upstairs making coffee, or sat outside drinking beer? =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Thank you for spelling 'espresso' correctly!
    tFB Trader
    m_c said:
    So what you're really saying, is although you've moved to bigger premises, production won't actually increase as you'll either be upstairs making coffee, or sat outside drinking beer? =)
    Ooooooo perish the thought ;-)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Do you have any plans for a “First pickup from the new workshop” type piece ? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Keefy said:
    Thank you for spelling 'espresso' correctly!
    Three reasons:
    1) Spelling pedantry.
    2) I am a coffee addict.
    3) My dealers suppliers are Italian.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6798
    The first day of the great Oil City Pickups move is done ... and everything is in. Piles of boxes .... benches still flat-packed

Sunday ... day two ... will be shelving out the walls and building the benches up. Once the gear is stowed the four workshop computers can be setup: one for CAD drawing, digital oscilloscope software and printing, one each for the computer auto/manual winding machines, and one for orders and as general backup. The phone system will be next, and probably racking for test guitars and stock storage areas. 
    I cant see the photo, is it just my browser?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:

I cant see the photo, is it just my browser?
    Fixed

tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    Do you have any plans for a “First pickup from the new workshop” type piece ? 
    Yep I do ... I should start limited production Tuesday/Wednesday, and will be doing something special here to mark that.

We have had to do a huge amount of bench levelling, as there is a three inch fall off in the floor height diagonally across the workshop. Lots of juggling with wood blocks to get the work surfaces level. There's nothing worse than tools rolling off a workbench thats on the piss!
    The window panel on the left of shot hasen't been fixed in place by the builders yet, so we can't bench out that corner ... hence the stacked benches :-)

Hole in the wall (top right) that's covered by tape is for fume extraction ... and I need to fit the spiggot/flange plate over that tomorrow and caulk it in.
    The 'dirty' bench is up ... and ... er ... blocking the bank of wall sockets ... so it will have to be stood out from the wall on wood blocks to keep it firm. Small issues keep cropping up ... and we keep coming up with novel fixes :-)

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    I feel like my Oil City pickups have extra mojo now.....’ That’s right, these pickups were made in the old factory’ before they got big....Sorta like Pre CBS Fenders and Kalamazoo for Gibson’s...Hope you’ll be very happy in your new home! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    tone1 said:
    I feel like my Oil City pickups have extra mojo now.....’ That’s right, these pickups were made in the old factory’ before they got big....Sorta like Pre CBS Fenders and Kalamazoo for Gibson’s...Hope you’ll be very happy in your new home!
    I loved my old work space ... it's where Oil City started ... but it was so tiny and 'packed in' that it really didn't help my workflow. It was carpeted too, so horrible to keep clean, and was next on impossible for two people to work in. The new space is more like a lab ... I know those of old, my father being a rocket engineer, and will be a whole lot easier to keep squeaky clean and tidy. 

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    edited May 2019
    I know my Oil City ‘tone1 fretboard raffle specials’ will never leave my Strat.....
    tFB Trader
    Nearly there ... still a bit untidy with not enough shelves up ... but pretty much functional!

Bottom left of lower photo ... the main computer developed a noisy power supply ... obviously sulking at being shifted ... so another one on order. lots of tidying and moving about to do ... but we are ready to rock again ... pretty much.