Recommend me some Strat pickups

What's Hot
I have had some Bare Knuckle Mothers Milks for about 10 years or so in my Strat but my setup and the way I play has changed and I'm after something a little bit smoother/fatter  and not as icepick bright. 

Don't play with obscene amounts of gain but I love my fuzz face - even for clean tones - and don't like treble bleed caps. 

What are the bestest pickups around these days that don;t have a 3 year waiting list? 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12500
    Have you tried fat 50s or 57/62s I really like both. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    Was about to say fat 50s but @munckee  beat me to it. They are a favourite of mine, lovely and warm, articulate; just the perfect strat pickup.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6981
    munckee said:
    Have you tried fat 50s or 57/62s I really like both. 
    Nope not tried either but they were on my radar.  Cheers. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Tonerider surfaris are really nice 50s style and not expensive 
    Cheers will have a listen. 

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Radioshop 63’s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    Fralin Blues with baseplates fit your remit of something a little bit smoother/fatter

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    Seymour Duncan Antiquity. Versions 1 and 2 are both good in different ways. The "hot" bridge position units are nicely balanced for extra output.

The SSL52-1 Five-Two model would take care of the "smooth" requirement - provided that your fingerboard radius is 7.25". 

I dare say that UK makers could build you something very similar without the vintage style magnet rod length "stagger" pattern.

soma1975 said:
    I love my fuzz face - even for clean tones - and don't like treble bleed caps. 
    Oil City Pickups Route 66 and Diamond Geezer models handle filth very well. (THINK: Jeff Beck finger and thumb style. Plenty of distortion but you can still tell that he is abusing a Stratocaster.) Other forum members speak highly of the OCP Stone Tone.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Ooh never thought of the SD Antiquities, worth checking out thanks. 12" radius though - Classic Player 60s Strat. 

When I say fatter/smoother I meant specifically relative to the Bare Knuckle Mothers Milks which are ace but just that bit too bright. I'm not a John Mayer type player and like a bit of rasp but just want that top end to be a bit sweeter. 

Should check out OCP and OX4's new strat pickups and Radioshop. 

Any danger of pre and post pick up change video or sound clips?
    Absolutely, although it probably won't happen for a couple of months as I need to get a new amp and then get rid of some pedals and get some new pedals and get rid of the new pedals and re-buy the old pedals and repeat this a few times taking a £50 hit on each one every time I do this bollocks. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    Absolutely, although it probably won't happen for a couple of months as I need to get a new amp and then get rid of some pedals and get some new pedals and get rid of the new pedals and re-buy the old pedals and repeat this a few times taking a £50 hit on each one every time I do this bollocks. 
    If its any consolation mate I bought a princeton last summer which led me to selling my boss FRV1 pedal as I had reverb and tremolo.  I have now sold the princeton for a loss (taking into account the new speaker I bought) and bought a champ which has neither, I have bought a cheap tremolo and the FRV now costs £50 more used than I sold it for.

To add to that I realised I left all of my spare tele and and strat pickguards in the box with the old princeton speaker which I gave to the chap who bought it - he has very kindly posted them back to me though, which I of course have reimbursed him for.

While beggering about with my pedal board changing the order and adding the tremelo I appear to have killed the power supply - so put batteries in a few pedals temporarily and have snapped the battery wire on my TS clone!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    mojos special strat set are worth a look.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3953
    After trying lots of sets, Rocketfire Total 60's killed my GAS. Amazing pups.
  • GimletGimlet Frets: 23
    Monty's Pickups The Full Monty are very nice. I installed some for a friend a few months ago; they're slightly higher output (around 8k > 7k bridge to neck) and seemed to have a pleasant bump in the mid-range with a softer top end.
    Humanity. It's not a race, merely a gentle stroll towards the inevitable.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3068
    I'm a big fan of Kinman pickups. I have them in all my Strats and Teles. They do a range of different models for Strats so you can choose what style you want. I think I've got an AVn Blues set in my 12-string Strat, a set of Impersonators in my regular Strat, a 60s set in one Tele and a 60s set bridge (AVn-60b) in another T-type. I love 'em. 
    munckee said:
    soma1975 said:
    If its any consolation mate I bought a princeton last summer which led me to selling my boss FRV1 pedal as I had reverb and tremolo.  I have now sold the princeton for a loss (taking into account the new speaker I bought) and bought a champ which has neither, I have bought a cheap tremolo and the FRV now costs £50 more used than I sold it for.

To add to that I realised I left all of my spare tele and and strat pickguards in the box with the old princeton speaker which I gave to the chap who bought it - he has very kindly posted them back to me though, which I of course have reimbursed him for.

While beggering about with my pedal board changing the order and adding the tremelo I appear to have killed the power supply - so put batteries in a few pedals temporarily and have snapped the battery wire on my TS clone!
    Never bloody ends does it...

Thanks for recommendations people.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    Lollar Blackface.

Amazing things. Bit spendy though!
    Ooh they sound great!