What is the "Greasebucket" circuit?

fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24164
I've just come into possession of another Precision and this one has a Greasebucket circuit.

I've read the description that it lowers the treble while keeping the bass, but to my ears that's what every other passive tone control does anyway.

If anything it seems to not roll off quite as much treble as a standard set up - so what is it doing differently, and how easy is it to make it into a standard tone circuit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    It's an unnecessary and overly complicated tone circuit which effectively decreases the cap value as the control is turned down, and doesn't go all the way to zero because it has a resistor in series with it.

It's easy to rewire it as a standard tone control, and in fact you have a choice of tone cap values without having to buy any new ones since it contains both the 'vintage' (0.1uF) and 'modern' (0.022uF) caps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24164
    Got a handy diagram of how it would look if I changed it?

Ideally simple enough that an idiot could follow it.... :D 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3036
    Googling "greasebucket circuit" turns up several useful diagrams and articles.

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Googling "greasebucket circuit" turns up several useful diagrams and articles.

R.
    That doesn't mean I would know I was looking at the right one!

ICBM said:
    Brilliant!

Thank you.