Basic Technique Question: string bending

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
When playing at volume, if I bend the B string at or around the tenth fret, when I release the string the G string sounds (it too gets bent while bending the B string).  How would I go about removing this howler from my playing?  I usually bend strings 'up', pulling them 'down' does not work for me.  This problem is embarrassing to admit (as someone who has played guitar for years) but it messes up what was a good in tune bend. Thanks for any pointers.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3217
    Careful placement of the fretting hand fingers should mute most of those problems...picking hand muting should take of the rest ;)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thanks @digitalkettle, I use my right hand to damp strings when playing bass.  I must see how or if similar string damping could be used to prevent unwanted notes sounding.  Your solution never occurred to me!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3217
    In this instance, I think that the fretting hand is working hardest (especially when you're playing with a pick), e.g. the ring finger executes an upward bend, the middle finger is there for support, and the index finger is creeping over keeping adjacent strings quiet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    Do you anchor your picking hand with the fingers against the body of the guitar?  If so this would lift the fleshy part at the side of your hand away from the strings limiting your ability to mute with it.