Cornwallum - The Lizard

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
Am off for our annual jaunt to Cornwall on Friday, after several years with a base camp at Boscastle we have a new pad on the lizard.  I'm reasonably familiar with Cornwall but anyone know any good walks or nooks, crannies or not well known spots in that area to check out?

Any good beaches would be useful too, we like sandy beaches with surf but fairly safe for my autistic son to make sandcastles and explore rock pools, beaches like mawgan porth or porth towan but nearer the lizard.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    There's a great walk along the coast from Cadgwith to the Lizard, and if you can find it there's a great inland route back partly on the top of the walls between the fields which must be a very old route for the local workers at the time it was built.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited May 2019
    Kennack Sands is a decent beach and should tick your boxes. Kynance Cove should definitely be on the 'to do' list, it's a stunning location...... Not on the Lizard but Praa Sands is a large surf beach and if you fancy it, Marazion is a nice place to visit, a large but quite pebbly beach, St. Michael's Mount and decent pubs etc. Helford is a nice place to visit too, there's a ferry that crosses the river to Helford Passage... there's some amazing houses there, including Roger Taylor's and a little further round is Trebah Gardens. You can't really go wrong in Cornwall :) 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    +1 for Kynance Cove, Stunning place 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    Great stuff chaps thanks, will make a list!  Have been to Helford and Frenchman's creek which has seasonally closed roads just for amusement : )
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Yes, Kynance Cove and Cadgwith are stunning.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    Aunt and Uncle lived in Coverack when I was growing up so check out Mears beech there should be quieter than the main beaches
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Another vote for Kynance Cove. Truly beautiful.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Fistral Bay has a nice beach, it’s near Newquay. You get loads of surfers there too, interesting to watch. 

We stayed near Fowey a couple of years back, nice little town based round a harbour, there’s some good cliff top walks from there too. It does get quite busy but you should be ok this early in the season. 
    One question re Kynance cove, when the tide comes in can you get trapped as I seem to remember hearing it comes all the way to the cliffs.
    boogieman said:
    Fistral Bay has a nice beach, it’s near Newquay. You get loads of surfers there too, interesting to watch. 

We stayed near Fowey a couple of years back, nice little town based round a harbour, there’s some good cliff top walks from there too. It does get quite busy but you should be ok this early in the season. 
    Fowey is very nice, one hell of walk back up to the car park though!

For anyone else venturing to cornwall last year we went to the blue tomato cafe in rock for breakfast, expensive but gorgeous breakfast with really nice view of padstow bay.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Hayle has a stunning beach but it's a trek to reach it up the hill and over the dunes. (That may have changed as it's 30+ years since I lived there). Trevellas Cove has a small beach and is great for exploring with rocks and cave but again is a bit of a trek. There's a a beautiful walk from the main Perranporth - St Agnes road down through the bluebell woods to Trevellas Cove.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    edited May 2019
    munckee said:
    One question re Kynance cove, when the tide comes in can you get trapped as I seem to remember hearing it comes all the way to the cliffs.
    When the tide is up most of Kynance beach is under water so check the tide tables that are available locally. There is a shop attached to a cafe at Lizard village that has all sorts of useful guides to the area. Bear in mind also that it's a long uphill walk from Kynance Cove, but worth the effort.

Gunwalloe Church Cove on the west side of the Lizard peninsula, a few miles north of Mullion, has two beaches separated by a small projection of headland: The one with the church is a sheltered sandy beach and the other is a mix of sandy beach and rocks ideal for rock-pooling. Parking there is easy.

Avoid Porthallow and Porthoustock on the east coast of the peninsular because their beaches are rubbish.

If you have a dull day or just want a change there is the Flambards Theme Park just on the outskirts of Helston next to the big air base. A great place to spend time with your lad. Also, if it appeals, I believe the Radio Observatory at Goonhilly Downs on the peninsular is open to the public.

The fishing village at Cadgwith Cove is prettier than Mullion Cove but both are quite small.

Porthleven is really nice with an attractive harbour, shops and a couple of decent pubs. The Ship Inn has great character and often has traditional live music. The other pub (can't remember it's name) often has live band nights.

Several of the pubs in Helston have live music, the Blue Anchor being particularly famed for its live music and infamous Spingo.

Unfortunately you'll just miss Flora Day in Helston which is quite something to see.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    i walked with the dog from Cadgwith to Lizard point a few years ago, as i recollect it was a lovely walk 
    i walked with the dog from Cadgwith to Lizard point a few years ago, as i recollect it was a lovely walk 
    On that walk there is a bench that has a little plaque on it that says something like: "In memory of (name) 'Popeye' (name) who misbehaved all his life". That's a guy I'd love to have met :)
  • pete624000pete624000 Frets: 74
    I saw this one on a walk in my back garden.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    Caught some decent waves at Praa Sands - nice little beach.
    Caught some decent waves at Praa Sands - nice little beach.
    Its definitely on the list.  Weather looks pretty decent, dry and a bit of sun here and there, I'll take that.

Only downside of moving from boscastle to the lizard is an additional hour and a bit in the car, which would be fine but missus munckee and the kids will be in the car too!

This years house has outdoor heated pool and a hot tub so hopefully worth the longer drive.

Well Cornwall is sizzling hot and the holiday home is great, no neighbours, view of the sea near the lizard

https://i.imgur.com/AMWE9vo.jpg

View from he hot tub

https://i.imgur.com/0QszZOn.jpg

Proper job :)
  • Very jealous. I was born in Kernow but my parents moved away when I was still a baby, but l’ve had a few holidays there. Years since I’ve been though, would love so much to go back, love the place, steeped in celtic history, stunning coast and incredible pasties :)