Irongear pickups.

What's Hot

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    Stevepage said:
    Certainly dont look like cheap crap to me. They look no different from a Seymour Duncan. And at £25 for a single coil you're not going to lose out too much if you don't like it
    How about tonal quality? I appreciate sound can be subjective, just wondering how they compare to the Seymours etc
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I much prefer Irongear to most of the Seymour Duncan humbuckers I've tried. In particular, people often compare the Hot Slag and the JB but to my ears, the Hot Slag is far superior.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited May 2019
    The Rolling Mill I had in my guitar for a while didn't sound any lower quality than the Gibson pickup in it beforehand. Only reason I got rid is because I should have got the overwound version! I've used loads of pickups and never felt like Irongear were in any way inferior.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    Cheers chaps, maybe I'll investigate. The Ibanez pickups are OK but I don't think they're anything particularly special. Could do with a bit more range from them, especially the neck. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3045
    joetele said:
    Stevepage said:
    Certainly dont look like cheap crap to me. They look no different from a Seymour Duncan. And at £25 for a single coil you're not going to lose out too much if you don't like it
    How about tonal quality? I appreciate sound can be subjective, just wondering how they compare to the Seymours etc
    Well to me they sound just as good as any other pickup I've had in the past (Bkp,  SD, Dimarzio etc).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    They should do a "premium" version which is exactly the same but costs 3-4 times as much.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I have the IronGear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill combo in a Yamaha superstrat & prefer the tone to the Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo in my Charvel superstrat. The IronGear's were about £60 compared to the SD's at about £200 I think.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I was really surprised by how much string definition and character there was to the Rolling Mill. With cheaper pickups I usually have the impression that they're going to be a bit muddy and a bit generic/plain sounding but this had something different going on which sounded great.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    TTBZ said:
    I was really surprised by how much string definition and character there was to the Rolling Mill. With cheaper pickups I usually have the impression that they're going to be a bit muddy and a bit generic/plain sounding but this had something different going on which sounded great.
    Pickups are ridiculously simple things. I can understand why hand wound ones from folks making just a few are expensive, but for factory ones there's no reason they shouldn't be cheap as chips. Like lots of things in the guitar world they are something ridiculously basic that have been imbued with some sort of magic woohoo that makes people think they are worth £100 more than they should be. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4166
    drwiddly said:
    I much prefer Irongear to most of the Seymour Duncan humbuckers I've tried. In particular, people often compare the Hot Slag and the JB but to my ears, the Hot Slag is far superior.
    I prefer Irongear to any Seymour Duncan pickup I've tried.

joetele said:
    Stevepage said:
    I had an Irongear pickup in the neck of a Modern Player Deluxe Tele and it was far superior to the Fender pickup 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Just saw this thread. Purely coincidentally, yesterday I ordered an Irongear "Blues Machine" neck humbucker for my Eastman AR371CE archtop. I ordered it at 4:00 in the afternoon, and it dropped through my letterbox just 5 mins ago. Impressed!

I'm also impressed with the price - it was about 40 quid delivered. 

It also looks as nicely made and nicely packaged as other considerably-more-expensive after-market pickups I've had before.

Here's hoping I'll be similarly impressed with how it sounds...

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4166
    smigeon said:
    Just saw this thread. Purely coincidentally, yesterday I ordered an Irongear "Blues Machine" neck humbucker for my Eastman AR371CE archtop. I ordered it at 4:00 in the afternoon, and it dropped through my letterbox just 5 mins ago. Impressed!

It also looks as nicely made and nicely packaged as other considerably-more-expensive after-market pickups I've had before.

Did you order it from Axetec? I've been super impressed with their service every time I've used them :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Yes, Axetec.
  • IaMsPlattIaMsPlatt Frets: 3

I have looked at the Irongear website a few times but not bought anything yet because they seem to be too cheap to be any good but perhaps thats wrong reading the comments here. These must be made in China or Vietnam or something like that right? Not saying that theres anything wrong with made in China but that seems to be a massive savings compared to the cost of more known brands so wonder about the quality of the components and the components must make the sound good or worse.

Perhaps I just try some for myself!

I am Mark S Platt but not the hacker M*rk Pl*tt
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    There isnt really much to
    TTBZ said:
    Pickups are ridiculously simple things. I can understand why hand wound ones from folks making just a few are expensive, but for factory ones there's no reason they shouldn't be cheap as chips. Like lots of things in the guitar world they are something ridiculously basic that have been imbued with some sort of magic woohoo that makes people think they are worth £100 more than they should be. 
    I worked in coil winding shop and we could have turned these out on spec by the hundred per hour on the right machines as its really just magnet choice ,wire spec ,number of turns and how you set the machine up to scatter  or not scatter ,wire tension etc .There  are all the differences  .The rest is  froth and bolloxs  and your ears ,amp ,and attitude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    rossi said:
    There isnt really much to
    TTBZ said:
    I worked in coil winding shop and we could have turned these out on spec by the hundred per hour on the right machines as its really just magnet choice ,wire spec ,number of turns and how you set the machine up to scatter  or not scatter ,wire tension etc .There  are all the differences  .The rest is  froth and bolloxs  and your ears ,amp ,and attitude.
    Froth and Bollocks. Great name for a folk group......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    smigeon said:

Update: just installed the Irongear Blues Machine pickup in my Eastman.

First impressions: it sounds maybe a bit clearer and a maybe a bit more trebly then the Kent Armstrong I took out. But the differences are subtle. So no major news, good or bad. But this is just in the house - I'll know better when I play it out. But so far so good. May report further, if I remember, after playing it out with a group... :-).
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Anyone tried a Rolling Mill with the Alchemist  (HB sized P90)? Tempted with something like this for my Epi LP to replace the JB and 59 and quite fancy a P90 in the neck for something a little different 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    edited May 2019
    Anyone tried a Rolling Mill with the Alchemist  (HB sized P90)? Tempted with something like this for my Epi LP to replace the JB and 59 and quite fancy a P90 in the neck for something a little different 
    I've got the Alchemist 90 in the neck of the Jazzmaster-ish build I've just finished, paired with a JB in the bridge. It's my first P90 so can't be too exacting on how it compares to others but I think it sounds great. Lots of punch and 'spank' to it and very articulate. It does hum a bit, but I reckon that is just me getting to used to using a single coil for the first time.

I'd definitely recommend it.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    I have a neck alchemist in the classifieds if you're interested.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/