Hendrix...

What's Hot

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    axisus said:
    This is like saying why is Roger Bannister famous for running a mile in under 4 minutes ... lots of people have done that?
    Yea, who is this Yuri Gagarin fella, heck anyone can go into space, even that ballonist Branson.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    ESBlonde said:
    axisus said:
    This is like saying why is Roger Bannister famous for running a mile in under 4 minutes ... lots of people have done that?
    Yea, who is this Yuri Gagarin fella, heck anyone can go into space, even that ballonist Branson.

This is very true... they laughed at Louie Armstrong when he wanted to go into space but look at him now, he’s up there on the moon wearing his yellow jersey!...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    thegummy said:
    relic245 said:
    What was so great about Einstein? Any Bsc physicist knows more about the universe, matter and relativity than he ever did. (that is true)

What was so great about Roger Banister? Any decent club runner can run a mile in 4 minutes. 

Are we going to devalue these people as well?

What was great about Hendrix was that he did something that no one had ever done before.  In fact, he was doing things that other people didn't think were possible. 

When you judge it against the players of today then sure, he would be nothing special but that (IMHO) is totally missing the point. 
    Pretty sure the OP was tongue in cheek or a jestful troll but that is a superb answer anyway.

Interesting to think about the runners example though. Unlike physics or music, it's not really building on an existing knowledge base is it? It's still just running as fast as one can, yet still people get better as time goes on. I suppose it's partly to do with sports science and nutrition whereas back in the day the athletes would just be eating the same as everyone else; so will the improvement tail off now that they know about nutrition or will people just continue to get faster?
    Humans are generally getting taller and stronger, until we reach a point where there is not enough food that might continue, so people should be able to keep pushing the limits.  There will be a maximum speed for two legs and our energy stores at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    poopot said:
    ESBlonde said:
    axisus said:

This is very true... they laughed at Louie Armstrong when he wanted to go into space but look at him now, he’s up there on the moon wearing his yellow jersey!...
    They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round.

But it turned out he was at a meeting of an early flat earth society - when he said it again later on in the pub, someone just asked why he was saying such a mundane fact that everyone already knew.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    poopot said:
    lukedlb said:
    poopot said:
    lukedlb said:

You know, somebody should open a museum dedicated to Hendrix and Marshall stacks....
    I know he used marshal gear... I’m sure I read somewhere that he used a little 5e3 for some recordings... I have one of them... here it is on my kitchen table...

Nice amp. Is that your Gran in the background?
    Lenny kravitz
    Looks more like Lenny the Lion.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    I just can't believe you lead with the Clapton thread if you were planning on doing this one.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Whether music is actually "good" or not, in that it's enjoyable (or at least moving) to listen to, is purely subjective to the individual listener and is pointless really discussing unless it's recommending that someone whose taste you share try out a new artist.

What I would say makes artists objectively great is how much influence their legacy has on other musicians that are successful after them. E.g. the Beatles are objectively the greatest band ever because they completely influenced all music that followed but they're not my personal favourite band of all time, just up there.

Hendrix 100% falls in to that category where nothing (to my knowledge anyway) sounded like him before him and masses of guitarists sounded like him or an evolution of him after him. I have his album in my collection but have never really got much pleasure from listening to it.

The Smiths is a good example for me - I really don't enjoy the band at all but I respect them as one of the greats because they had so much influence over a huge scene.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    prlgmnr said:
    I just can't believe you lead with the Clapton thread if you were planning on doing this one.
    Where does he go after this one? 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    prlgmnr said:
    Go for the Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani mob, easy targets...  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    prlgmnr said:
    Go for the Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani mob, easy targets...  ;)
    Depends if I’m feeling comfortable or just numb next week!!!!
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Star spangled banner is an era defining moment - not for any Woodstockiness but for its howl of blind U.S. destructivism.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Yeah, he never had a number 1 hit in the UK. What a loser.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1016
    Sassafras said:
    Nor have you :) 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    prlgmnr said:
    "Guthrie Govan - is he just copying other players?"
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Poopot is a twot - I'm a poet but slightly over rated ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    I don't know why I'm pandering to this silly troll thread, all want to add is that I think it's a shame that the YouTube generation think Jimi Hendrix was just a rowdy, often out of tune, self indulgent live rock guitarist. 

His family's stranglehold on his official output means that you won't ever accidentally stumble across his beautiful songwriting, his fantastic studio productions, his lovely and intricate vocal harmonies or the hypnotic genius (not a word I use lightly) of meandering story-like guitar playing on songs like Who Knows, from the Band of Gypsies album. 

It's a real shame. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I don't know why I'm pandering to this silly troll thread, all want to add is that I think it's a shame that the YouTube generation think Jimi Hendrix was just a rowdy, often out of tune, self indulgent live rock guitarist. 

His family's stranglehold on his official output means that you won't ever accidentally stumble across his beautiful songwriting, his fantastic studio productions, his lovely and intricate vocal harmonies or the hypnotic genius (not a word I use lightly) of meandering story-like guitar playing on songs like Who Knows, from the Band of Gypsies album. 

It's a real shame. 

Wis awarded
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    prlgmnr said:
    Jeff Beck - No decent tunes since Silver Lining...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 421
    Sassafras said:
    He did, posthumously - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 911
    longjaw said:
    Sassafras said:
    He did, posthumously - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).
    beat me too it
    it also had the best cover version ever, IMO, on the other, side All Along the Watchtower