Snags said:
    Love you all guys :)
    Wanker.

;)
    Never knock a married man's hobby... :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Anybody that picks up a guitar and does their best to express themselves/communicate is ok in my book. Why all the ‘overrated’ etc posts? 

If I meet someone and find out they play then it’s a bonus. 

Rock out and love your brothers and sisters. 
    Brothers and Sisters. Great album. No hate there.  :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9CbeZcQgA28&list=PLz6cAheObZciECcoHOen2JS2fkz6hmy_J&index=7&t=0s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    I think that unfortunately some people can't tell the difference between matters of aesthetic taste & moral, or intellectual failings.  (I understand that sometimes values & taste cross over to some extent).
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    We are British, we like to moan.
    Bloody typical!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    We are British, we like to moan.
    There's an element of that. 

There's also an element of fanboyism that can't cope when people dare criticise their heroes. 

I can't stand the likes of Floyd, Clapton, Queen etc. Now I don't start threads slagging them off because, well, what would be the point but repeatedly in the past when I have voiced that opinion you do get people who just can't let it go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Dopesick said:
    Huh...if Hendrix is so great then why is he dead?
    27 Club, instant immortality.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?

20, one to change it and 19 to say how much better they could've done it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Here's a thing.  I'm a pretty bad player, but its still my chosen midlife hobby.
    If any of you heard me play you'd probably laugh and wonder wtf I'm doing buying guitars/gear etc and getting all excited over shiny pedals n stuff, when I am obviously not actually talented at all, or barely adequate.... but it makes me happy. 
    This isnt just self-deprecation - I'm truly not very good at playing, but I love all things guitar. 

By comparison, a guy I know who plays to a very good standard in tribute bands and the like is simply not even 5% as interested in guitars as I am, despite undoubted woodshedding at some point.

So, I'm glad to try to share the OP's sentiment that if I find out someone plays guitar or has any interest in it, great - I wanna be talking to that person.  But I don't get the hate and/or disinterest that some people put onto other players - that seems like a waste of time that could be spent learning something...... 

PS just read that back and wish I had a punchline or some better point to make!  What a wanker  ;)     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bye!

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Here's a thing.  I'm a pretty bad player, but its still my chosen midlife hobby.
    If any of you heard me play you'd probably laugh and wonder wtf I'm doing buying guitars/gear etc and getting all excited over shiny pedals n stuff, when I am obviously not actually talented at all, or barely adequate.... but it makes me happy. 
    This isnt just self-deprecation - I'm truly not very good at playing, but I love all things guitar. 

By comparison, a guy I know who plays to a very good standard in tribute bands and the like is simply not even 5% as interested in guitars as I am, despite undoubted woodshedding at some point.

So, I'm glad to try to share the OP's sentiment that if I find out someone plays guitar or has any interest in it, great - I wanna be talking to that person.  But I don't get the hate and/or disinterest that some people put onto other players - that seems like a waste of time that could be spent learning something...... 

PS just read that back and wish I had a punchline or some better point to make!  What a wanker  ;)     
    I try to remember that you can learn something from every guitar player no matter waht standard they are at compared to you, even if it's how not to do something. There is no 'Right way' to do it, unless we all learn to play like Jeff Healey!

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

But there is a 'right way' to spell 'what'  :3

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I always say to my kids 'its nice to be nice' (not that I always follow this advice, but I try)
    If your a twat your a twat ,playing guitar has nothing to do with it, it doesn't make you a better person, just look at some on this forum.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    edited May 2019
    Snags said:
    Love you all guys
    Wanker.

Wis'd

Edit: disturbingly the third person to Wiz that...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2876
    AlbertC said:
    Why all the hate? 
    well, because this is the internet and it protects all the idiots who would get thumped for saying such stupid things in the real world
    100% I have said it before - the majority of people who chat shit online wouldn’t dare mutter it in person. Asswipes. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    I learnt a new phrase today. 

"Spunk Rocket"

Thought that might be relevant here.

Carry on,  as you were. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    blueskunk said:
    AlbertC said:
    Why all the hate? 
    well, because this is the internet and it protects all the idiots who would get thumped for saying such stupid things in the real world
    100% I have said it before - the majority of people who chat shit online wouldn’t dare mutter it in person. Asswipes. 
    There’s a load on another thread about some guitarist or other 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    I was attracted to this thread because I thought it was about Brexit.

Disappointed, to be honest.

There's just not enough Brexit debate on the internet.  :/
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099

My my office for the next few hours....

Hendrix and Clapton covers mostly.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited May 2019
    ...actually , I think we are all capable of making our own minds up, but in general, I think we get fed up being drip fed other (media) figures' points of view over time. I mean if you knew Hendrix to be great when you saw him at the IOW festival at the time, then why should you have to change your opinion just cos some media types maybe half or less your age who weren't even alive at the time tell you you're wrong cos is now only their opinion that counts??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Ok... I’m with the op on this one...

“Why all the hate?”

Since I started the Clapton thread and the follow up Hendrix thread (both with tongue firmly in cheek and intended to spark a bit of debate)... I have been called.

Pathetic

Attention seeking

A troll

A clown

Full of shit

Click baiting

Ignorant 

Moronic

Narcissistic

A Twot

Spunk rocket

Idiot

A twat

Asswipe

And there have been two threads essentially calling me out... so yeah, “why all the hate?”

Don’t get me wrong, my skin is thick enough to withstand a bit of abuse from the internets finest, but, isn’t it about time necks were wound in, knickers untwisted and sense of humours rediscovered?

FWIW, I regard Hendrix and Clapton quite highly!... Gilmour on the other hand!!!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom