Sat Nav Apps for iPhone....

What's Hot
I'm sure this has been done before but I can't find it.... Interested to know what apps people are leaning towards and what they like about them! I've been a long time user of Waze but I swear it's not performing as well as it once did, especially when it comes to finding wedding venues in the middle of nowhere and being laggy around roundabouts. Some very strange choices to avoid traffic sometimes too. I do love the user information element to it and I find it easy to look at. What's your go-to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11859
    Waze.

ive not used my TomTom in a few years now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Not sure if it's available for iPhone, I have used Sygic on my android phone for many years.  Always being updated and it cost me £18 for lifetime membership.  I use the one built into my car now, but Sygic was great when I used to use a pool car in work.
    https://www.sygic.com/
  • vonLayzonfonvonLayzonfon Frets: 108
    I'm on Android but these possibly all still apply.

I was using NavFree for a long time until it started suffering the same problems as you're describing.  At that point I went though a bunch of the free ones, Waze included, and found them all to be much of a muchness.

I then tried Sygic, which I think was a 30 day demo, and that suffered none of the issues I'd had with any of the free ones.  I had begun to think that my phone (or maybe any phone) wasn't capable of doing a decent sat nav job.  I was happy enough with Sygic to stump up whatever it was the premium version cost - about £15 I think.

The biggest issue I had with it was that the announcement setting for 'always use phone speaker' very rarely worked.  This means as soon as my phone pairs with the car's hands-free I can't hear voice instructions unless I switch the car stereo to Bluetooth and then I can't listen to the car's CD or radio.  But again, I haven't found a single sat nav app that can do that, so it may be an Android limitation.

That was a few years ago now and I've generally continued to be happy with Sygic, although I must say recently it's had a few odd instances where it's sent me down 500 yards of residential back street as a 'short cut' when it would have been easier to stick to the main roads.  Similarly, once or twice it's tried to send me straight on, right, right and right instead of just making a left.  Looking at the recent reviews on the app store this seems to be a common complaint but it still does its job well enough  for me not to have considered replacing it.

I've used Google Maps once or twice and never had issues with that, but ultimately I'd rather have an offline solution.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    waze...all the way
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Waze - just excellent 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I use Google maps on my iPhone daily for work -  works fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    edited May 2019
    Google Maps.  I switched from Waze a long time ago after I got sick of the odd things it kept doing like taking off the motorway to the roundabout only to tell me to go straight back on the motorway.  Plus, I intensely disliked the childlike ‘game’ style of it with sweets and points and all that shit.  Yeah, I know you can switch it off but you have to question the thinking of the developers in putting that shite in there in the first place.

My reliable setup for years now has been Google Maps with TomTom Speed Cameras (both free) running on top.  I get reliable routing, updated with live traffic and auto-rerouting and voice commands (Google) plus with the free TomTom app I get speed camera warnings, indication of the current speed limit and my current speed, warnings if I exceed it (selectable) and the best feature of all - traffic jam warnings.  Many times it’s warned me of imminent stationary traffic ahead when I’m on the motorway and it’s always been right.  Every time it goes off, I slow right down and, sure enough, round the next bend, everyone is stopped or crawling along.

Google are beginning to irritate me now though with their relentless determination to cram ever more “features” into Maps.  No, I don’t want you to prompt me to take a photo of my destination to help other users, I don’t want recommendations for lunch or a hotel, I just want you to be a SatNav app and nothing more.  Luckily, I’m still able to switch off most of the irritations but I can see the day coming when Google Maps turns into Johnnycab.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Google Maps.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7818
    Apple Maps and Google Maps. Might try Waze given recommendations above. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5456
    Google maps on my phone beats the TomTom SatNav in my work van by a mile. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269
    HERE WeGo are great for me.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3676
    I keep coming back to Apple maps having tried the others; the “crowdsourcing” approach of Wze is a good idea but relies on being updated. 
    Emp_Fab said:
    Google Maps.  I switched from Waze a long time ago after I got sick of the odd things it kept doing like taking off the motorway to the roundabout only to tell me to go straight back on the motorway.  Plus, I intensely disliked the childlike ‘game’ style of it with sweets and points and all that shit.  Yeah, I know you can switch it off but you have to question the thinking of the developers in putting that shite in there in the first place.
    Done 11000 miles since Feb using Waze, and it has never done that - been 99% successful.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    PC_Dave said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Done 11000 miles since Feb using Waze, and it has never done that - been 99% successful.
    I have to ask it - what went wrong for 110 miles??!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Google maps through Car Play onto the hi res screen in my Superb is, well , superb. 
  • Interesting... thanks for the input guys. I've been trying out TomTomGo which I quite like, but it does charge after a certain mileage so I'm not sure that it'll be good enough to justify this. Still can't get used to looking at Google Maps after being so used to Waze. Might be that it was the best of the bunch for me after all!
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I pretty much use Apple Maps exclusively now (especially in cars with CarPlay)

I've had most of the sat nav apps and used to use Navigon the most but like a lot of the sat nav app makers they have stopped developing their apps.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    Waze. I normally say I don’t know anyone who has used it who doesn’t prefer it over everything else. But Emp’s position is just the exception that proves it, right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited May 2019
    PC_Dave said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I have to ask it - what went wrong for 110 miles??!!
    More like 99.9%

And the answer is Birmingham