PSA : Steinberg Cubase 50% off

What's Hot
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but Steinberg has 50% off all products until June 3rd.  As a Reason owner, I thought I'd take advantage of the crossgrade and picked up Cubase 10 Pro for £150. 

I'm not too sure about it yet, coming from using Reaper as my main DAW, but it's quite nice to use.  I used Cubase from v1 for Windows up to SX3 so some of that's familiar, but I do miss Reaper's GUI flexibility a bit.

Anyway, if you fancied giving it a go, there's no better time to take the plunge.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    I discovered it via the Thomann web site.  I had been planning to upgrade from 8.5 pro to 10, which would have cost £171, but I ended up doing it for £85 thanks to the anniversary offer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Hnm.. very interesting cross grade price. 

I've been using logic for the last year's, but Don't like being tied to a Mac. Used to use cubase sx3

Feature wise, how to logic and cubase 10 stack up?
    I'm not a Logic user, so can't say for sure, but I would think that the bigger issue is how much time have you invested into learning Logic and how much time could you put into learning Cubase?  Of course all the basic Engineering / Production skills apply independent of platform but becoming truly proficient on a particular DAW takes some time.  There may also be features which whilst not 'better' on one DAW or the other will be 'different'.  You may prefer the way Cubase works or you may hate it.  I haven't checked but it may be possible to download a time limited demo version to try.
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    Annoyingly, the demo still needs the dongle which costs about £20, so not really a free trial.  I figured that I should be able to sell it on without loss if I decide not to stick with it.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959

I've been using logic for the last year's, but Don't like being tied to a Mac. Used to use cubase sx3

What features do you need / use?

I have both, I prefer the workflow of Cubase.

Musicwolf said:
    I'm not a Logic user, so can't say for sure, but I would think that the bigger issue is how much time have you invested into learning Logic and how much time could you put into learning Cubase?  Of course all the basic Engineering / Production skills apply independent of platform but becoming truly proficient on a particular DAW takes some time.  

I used to think this but having switched DAWs twice I really don't think it's as difficult as many (previously myself included) worry it will be.

The first day or two is definitely awkward, especially as features get called different things in each DAW so even searching for how to do X in the new DAW starts with a problem since you might not even know what it's called.

I found it useful to change most key commands to what I already knew, and watched some tutorial videos (Groove 3 and URM academy).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801

What features do you need / use?

I have both, I prefer the workflow of Cubase.

Musicwolf said:
    I'm not a Logic user, so can't say for sure, but I would think that the bigger issue is how much time have you invested into learning Logic and how much time could you put into learning Cubase?  Of course all the basic Engineering / Production skills apply independent of platform but becoming truly proficient on a particular DAW takes some time.  

I used to think this but having switched DAWs twice I really don't think it's as difficult as many (previously myself included) worry it will be.

The first day or two is definitely awkward, especially as features get called different things in each DAW so even searching for how to do X in the new DAW starts with a problem since you might not even know what it's called.

I found it useful to change most key commands to what I already knew, and watched some tutorial videos (Groove 3 and URM academy).

Bigger issue for me is that my Mac is starting to show it's age and I will switch to pc at some point...

I've never quite felt at home with logic or reaper... Cubase was where I started, also got an ask audio subscription so learning not an issue.
    Would you guys mind checking something for me, because I can't get a sensible answer from the Steinberg forum?

When adding a send to a track during audio, does it interrupt playback briefly?  It's hugely annoying and I've tested with 2 different PCs and 2 different interfaces with the same result so I guess it's a Cubase thing.  Deal breaker for me unfortunately.

See vid - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wij7tjtbdfvese/VID_20190527_140900.mp4?dl=0

No other DAW I've tested (Studio One, Ableton Live, Reason, Reaper) behave like that.
    Yep, it does that on mine.  In fact I'm sure that the interruption is longer on my system.

If you don't mind me asking, why on earth would that be a deal breaker?
    Musicwolf said:
    Yep, it does that on mine.  In fact I'm sure that the interruption is longer on my system.

If you don't mind me asking, why on earth would that be a deal breaker?
    Ok, thanks,  I agree it's a little thing to most, but it's a real distraction for me when mixing.  Also, if I'm tracking someone and I want to add a send to my version of the mix, then it interrupts the audio for all tracks, thus affecting the person doing the tracking.  In this day and age I really wouldn't expect to have to hold off from making changes until playback is stopped.

It's a shame, because I like so many aspects of Cubase.  I'll stick with it for a bit and see how it goes but, at this stage, I'll probably sell it on.

Also, coming from Reaper and Reason, it's really interesting to see so much blame placed on system stability and pointing of fingers at plugins on the Steinberg forum that doesn't happen as much elsewhere.  It seems to me that Cubase is a bit of an old behemoth in need of a rewrite.