NGD, P90 and Gold content.

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3448
So, its all set up, cleaned and lovely and I thought a NGD thread would be in order. I have been after a P90 based slide guitar for a while now and this Epiphone 56 just fell out of the sky and into the boot of my car, honest love.

I haven't set it up for slide yet because the nut is cut very low and I am just getting used to the short scale after playing a Tele for so long.

Ive never heard P90's in the flesh before and now I know what I have been missing all these years!

I think the best way to describe them is like a Lamb Chop, the bone being a single coil and the meat being a P90, all the glitter of SC's but with way more meat, really , really nice.

Guitar dater puts it as, 
Your guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
on December, 2001
Production Number: 991

Build quality is superb as you would expect from a late Korean Epiphone, neck is chunky unlike my old Epi LP's which had a slim neck, it feels really cumfy
, not too far of my Baja neck. The finish isnt as sparkley as I thought it was going to be which is good.

Clean it sounds really lush, driven it barks!

It came in this really nice Hiscox Manson Guitars case, not too fussed on the case, I would have much prefered an Epiphone case, but it is solid and light so jobs a good one.

Some arty farty photos, cos we like arty farty photos.

https://i.imgur.com/8hYn59S.jpg

And the big question, is it a keeper? Not sure yet, when I get a new nut on it and finish the set up then I can decide properly, the short scale is hard to get used to even though this is my third Epi LP, weight wise its not light but heavy in a good solid kind of way, not uncomfortably so. Last night I did put it down and picked up my Baja and ended up playing that instead so initial thoughts are I prefer to play the Tele but Im not writing this off just yet, If I could find a P90 Tele with a thick neck then I would probably prefer it to this but this really is quite lovely all the same, I just need to get more familiar with it. So I guess its happy bunny time for me.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    Nice pics, it looks good and that Hiscox will piss all over an Epiphone wooden/cardboard case in terms of protection. Enjoy.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    dark back?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3448
    tony99 said:
    dark back?

Kind of a very deep red/brown colour, weren't they all like this? My Ebony LP Standard was black on the back.
    Iamnobody said:
    Nice pics, it looks good and that Hiscox will piss all over an Epiphone wooden/cardboard case in terms of protection. Enjoy.

It is a strong case, seems way stronger than my Fender Tweed case. My guitars dont see a lot of abuse though so its a bit over kill for my needs.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Looking Good
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    The recent Epi LP cases are rock solid. Very nice imho. I had one with my early 90s Sheraton that was nowhere near as good.

Getting a decent case like that is a bonus though.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Me likey!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    tony99 said:
    dark back?
    Normal for Epiphone.

Gibson would have clear coat. Gibson would also have a little bit of maple showing in the cutaway between the mahogany and the top edge binding.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    Nice @robgilmo ;

dibs 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    tony99 said:
    dark back?
    Normal for Epiphone.

Gibson would have clear coat. Gibson would also have a little bit of maple showing in the cutaway between the mahogany and the top edge binding.

oh right, didn't know, hadn't seen an Epi one b4

either way it's tasty as fuck

can anyone point me in the direction of some well known gold top p90 players pleeeeeez

(apart from robgilmo obvs)
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    dark back?
    Normal for Epiphone.

oh right, didn't know, hadn't seen an Epi one b4

either way it's tasty as fuck

can anyone point me in the direction of some well known gold top p90 players pleeeeeez

I wish I was a well known player, one day Rodders, One day.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    tony99 said:
    David Gilmour
    The Reverend William F. Gibbons

There are several less well known P90 Goldtop players, right here, on this forum. 

Mine is a 2006. The back of the body is one-piece.  :)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    tony99 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAU4MmMIMo
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    Check out Joey Landreth, he's been playing a goldtop on his latest tour and album. There are several clips on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/c3KJuQ1fdgM

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Sean Costello gets some nice sounds out of his on some of the YouTube vids I’ve seen