Best medium sized Android tablet

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
edited May 2019 in Off Topic
Hi all, I've had a Nexus 7 tablet for a good few years and it's served me well, but it's starting to run slow now and freezing fairly regularly - so I think it's time for a replacement.

What's the best of the current crop of tablets?

Must be Android and it would great if I could use it to record audio on Band Lab.
Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2019
    Have you tried clearing the cache, or doing a complete reinstall even? I have one and it's working great for browsing and watching videos. These tablets have a near perfect form factor, and it's a pity they never carried on with them.

I've never used it for audio recording though, and probably wouldn't. That's a job for my Windows laptop.

BTW mine is the updated 2013 HD model.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Cheers @Freebird - a factory reset was my next thought too.

If that doesn't work and I do get a new one I'll not be getting a Huawei after Google's announcement this morning!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    edited May 2019
    longjaw said:
    Cheers @Freebird - a factory reset was my next thought too.

If that doesn't work and I do get a new one I'll not be getting a Huawei after Google's announcement this morning!

The basic Android OS is open source, so that won't be a problem.

The main issue is that there may not be access to the Play Store.  I would imagine that Huawei will create their own app store like Amazon have done with the Kindle Fire.  Huawei are a big enough player that most app developers will want to get their apps into Huawei's store.

I think that this is something that the press are sensationalising.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Lenovo are another one to avoid - OS updates for their devices stop after 18 months or so, which means you can often never get a full Android release upgrade.

I've got a Tab 4 10 Plus - basically their flagship tablet - from November last year and it's stuck on Android 7.1; they've said they'll never release another update for it.

Bloody terrible :(
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    We got a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" for a few months ago and I have been very impressed with it.  Build quality is excellent, it feels much more expensive than the £212 we spent on it.  The screen is really good, it's fast and the battery lasts ages.  OS updates haven't been a problem so far, it's been on 9.0 Pie for a little while, though I can't remember off the top of my head which patch.  EMUI these days is pretty non offensive.

On a different note.  I have a Nexus 9, which I ALMOST retired after it got slow etc. even after various factory resets and trying a couple custom roms etc...  But one evening I got bored and decided to flash the last official firmware from scratch and it's actually a lot zipper and the battery seems to last longer!  So that could be worth a try rather than just a factory reset.