country guitar

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
Did anyone get into the country guitar manuals for the sole purpose of getting their chops up to speed without having a real love of the style or genre....how'd you get on pardner?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Yep, practiced all the bends, double-stops, etc 'til they were at a decent standard then played in a country band for a couple of years to hone the skills. Not a fan of the music (or the audiences) but enjoyed the playing.

Did similar in playing for a while in a Western Swing band to develop country-jazz chops and also a spell in a blues band. Neither being music I have any particular love for but all part of becoming a better all-round player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    cheers Jim  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2019
    hootsmon said:
    Did anyone get into the country guitar manuals for the sole purpose of getting their chops up to speed without having a real love of the style or genre....how'd you get on pardner?
    The tele got me into it.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Quite like a lot of country music, but it’s certainly not my default type. I got into it because I wanted to learn how to hybrid pick. I quite like chicken picking if it’s not overdone and I can do a relatively entertaining pastiche of the style. If you’re coming from a rock n roll background I think it’s quite a useful genre to dip your toes into as I think a lot of rock players really struggle to play solos in a major key.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I love the harder rockier style of country playing so I watched a lot of youtube vids of  Greg Koch, Brad Paisley. Learning how to hybrid pick opened things up for me. Once you get into it you realise how ineffective and dull sounding playing with pick only is. 

I think this is pretty tasty example 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqz4niuRMVk
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    Check out Backwoods Creek band saw them Friday twin country guitar picking with some Lizzy type harmony country licks going on
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I freely stole a bunch of “Country” guitar ideas from Roy Buchanan, James Burton and Jerry Donahue.

The question you have to ask yourself is this. Where does Country end and Rock ‘N’ Roll begin? 

Keith Richard borrowed the five-string Open G tuning schtick from Gram Parsons. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom