Scratchplate advice

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
After some advice please. A few years ago I traded in some guitars for a 50’s Classic Player strat that had been calling me for quite a while. Obviously the guitar had been on display for a while, and clearly sun has got to it and helped with colouring the plastic, all apart from underneath where a sticker was - you can clearly see the markings on the scratchplate. It never really bothered me up to now, but I think it’s time to do something about it.

What would you guys suggest? Replace all the switches and scratchplate to match? Or just try and get a scratchplate that might be different in colour/fade?

Thanks in advance 

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    I think it looks good when the covers/knobs are slightly more aged than the pickguard so i’d just get a replacement pickguard in parchment. Make sure it’s a proper licensed part with the correct screw hole positions!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Proper Fifties single-ply white ‘guards do not discolour anything like that much. Even the Fender “Parchment” off-white shade is stretching things a bit far. 

I have an old vibrato spring cavity cover plate that is similarly afflicted. The ghosty impression of the self-adhesive label is fading to blend in with the rest of the plastic. This has only taken twelve years. 
    Be seeing you.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Replace the scratchplate with a single ply 8 hole version. Easiest thing to do, cost no more than £15.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Yep agreed, get a decent single ply white guard, plenty around. It will offset the aged covers and knobs beautifully (and make the sunburst really pop) IMHO. If you're not into that classic two-tone approach, a parchment or aged white guard should do the trick.

I imagine the classic player (like the classic series) takes the US screw pattern so anything made for US reissues should fit.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Nice one! Cheers chaps, will look at a White one - hadn’t thought of that :)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Remarkable tanlines!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I think it looks good when the covers/knobs are slightly more aged than the pickguard so i’d just get a replacement pickguard in parchment. Make sure it’s a proper licensed part with the correct screw hole positions!
    Totally agree - looks better when there's a contrast there rather than if the knobs and pickup covers are the same shade as the scratchplate.

When I saw a 2-tone sunburst with a black pickguard I was blown away with how great it looked - have a google for that before buying an off white one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I have a fairly reliced gold 8 hole from a classic player if that’s your bag. If not I bought one from guitars electric that fit. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    munckee said:
    ... I bought one from guitars electric that fit. 
    I bought a Telecaster scratchplate from Guitars Electric (via eBay) which was a perfect fit for my Tele - I’d use them again.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Nice one, will take a look. Thanks.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    Another vote here for black, that would look very cool imo
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Gold anodized or a full set of new white parts. Cream covers and knobs on a white guard looks horrible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson