MIM 70s strat re-issue: suggested upgrades

shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
Hi all. Decided not to sell a 70s strat re-issue I have and maybe soup it up a bit. Thinking gotoh tuners but not sure about pick ups. Was thinking about texas specials. Suggestions welcome. 
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Big headstock and Texas Specials.  Only needs a 2 point trem to be my nightmare Strat.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
    I like the big headstock.

I think Texas specials are ok.

I prefer the look of the classic trem but the two point works. If there's one issue that grinds my gears it's the big rectangular saddles they use instead of the bent steel ones. Not sure of their name but they look terrible on Strats IMO.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited May 2019
    Big headstock, two point trem and block saddles would be just the thing for me.

I know, I'm a filthy heretic.

I'd also have it in black with maple neck, just in case that is the final nail for anyone.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Those cast saddles can go in the bin for a starters 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    edited May 2019
    Callaham trem/block/saddles and a pickup swap. Might have some vintage voiced pups if you are interested.  Not as hot a Texas specials tho..
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
    edited May 2019
    sweepy said:
    Those cast saddles can go in the bin for a starters 
    The Japanese ones come with cast saddles as per 70s spec. The MIM ones come with bent steel. Hey hey, glaven.  B
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Good old MIM :)

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Tonerider for the pickups perhaps? Classic blues (bridge is already a bit hotter on that set) or their city limits one? I've had three MIM classics over the years and the pickups have always been the weak point I think. 

Toneriders would be an improvement at 70 or so a set, I imagine it would be the same for irongear but I've never tried their single coils
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Between 6 and 7k for the neck and centre pickups. 9 - 10k for the bridge pickup. Lower tone control acting on bridge and centre pickups. 

The only time I have knowingly heard a Texas Special pickup and liked it was on the Fender MIJ Pawnshop ‘51.
    Be seeing you.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    I’ve got an old MIM 70s style Stratocaster and it’s a very well made instrument . It has the bent metal bridge saddles , the only things I’ve upgraded are the pickups. The originals were the ceramic type and I replaced them with a set of Fender Custom Shop 54s. Not the sort of thing you’d expect on a 70s reissue but I love them.