Song ideas for teaching kids.

What's Hot
Gwatkins15Gwatkins15 Frets: 39
edited May 2019 in Theory
I've been teaching my niece guitar for a year or so (she's 7). She's really impressed me with her progress, although choosing/creating stuff to teach her is a nightmare. She does chords easy and she finds 'chord songs' a bit meh. She knows a few scales and I'm slowly getting her improvising. 

Does anyone have any ideas of songs like Yesterday, with a melody that uses different strings, so secretly developing her technique but with a melody that's memorable so she can practice at home without YouTube etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Theme tune to MASH

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Some of the Rockshool acoustic performance pieces contain melody notes to pop songs, they're quite for ones I feel aren't ready for full chord shapes yet, I just get them to play the single note melody.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    sev112 said:
    Theme tune to MASH

A classic back-cycle song :)

What are “chord songs”? Is the issue giving her songs with memorable tunes so she can play single-note melody across the strings? If so:

somewhere over the rainbow
    happy birthday
    How deep is your love
    doe a deer
    o come all ye faithful

etc
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Chords and melody (and vocals) together: "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes" is a great song/tune to learn as it affords the opportunity to involve others in the performance.  There is at least one good video online that explains the technique and teaches how to play the song.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Everybody hurts. Although it is just chords, the picking makes it interesting and helps show if and of the notes of the chord are not being fretted properly.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gwatkins15Gwatkins15 Frets: 39
    Good suggestions. What I'm after really are 'pieces', like yesterday, single note stuff, a bit more challenging than basic happy birthday kind of things. Everything I search for just results in '50 easiest songs with 2 chords', Anyone recommend any grade books, they might be more structured and more of what I'm after. I'll certainly check out the rockschool books. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited May 2019
    RGT@LCM do good acoustic pieces like Auld Lang Syne and Swing Low Sweet Chariot for Grade 1, short recognisable melodies that aren't hard to play. They could do with updating their repertoire a bit though cos its very outdated compared to RSL.
  • Gwatkins15Gwatkins15 Frets: 39
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvkHo_-ZIY  

Just found this if it's any use to anyone, Hit the Road Jack, just what I'm after.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Blackbird maybe? 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    Surf music, surfers lament, surfin USA, Pipeline etc etc.
  • KRSKRS Frets: 9
    Three Little Birds by Bob Marley.