SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

NS Stick - SOLD

RolandRoland Frets: 8707
edited June 2019 in Basses £
This is my NS Stick. For those who don’t know the NS Stick, it was a collaboration between Emmett Chapman and Ned Steinberger. Here’s an example of one being played: https://youtu.be/M0h-L9XFNwk

There’s more information on Wikipedia, and the Stick Enterprises web site. Unlike other instruments there is no established repertoire to copy, or even established way of stringing and tuning. I’ve set it up BEADGBEA so that the central 6 strings mirror a guitar. 

It is a unique design, neither bass, nor guitar, nor Chapman Stick, but somewhere in between. You can hang it across your body like a Stick, or more horizontally like a Telecaster. Don Schiff does both. There is a metal arm projecting beyond the body which the strap attaches to, keeping it balanced.

The neck is wenge. As you can see from the pictures it’s a sizeable piece of wood, and totally stable under the tension of the eight strings. The body is probably made of ash dyed port wine red. The neck features a damper between first and zero frets which springs into action when slid along. Four EMG Telecaster neck pickups have neck/both/bridge switching. They can be configured in mono, or the bass and treble sides of the instrument can be amplified independently. As far as I remember mono/stereo switching is automatic, depending on whether you use a mono or a stereo cable.

It comes with its fitted flight case, set of imperial Allen keys, a spare set of strings (if I can find where I put them), and it’s original leather strap. There even the original cardboard box. I’ll also fit a strap button to the end of the steel arm, instead of the hook which it came with.

I bought the NS/Stick about 15 years ago when I was playing in a jazz band. I got it from Andy Long, who bought it from Emmett Chapman. As far as I know it’s been gigged once, at Andy’s birthday party.

Why am I selling it? Several people have expressed interest, and it’s currently collecting dust. It was a useful instrument in its time. I learned to tap on it, but I don’t see me using it in my current band.

Price is £1,600 plus delivery. I travel quite a bit to see family and friends, so could possibly arrange to meet.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments