Songs suitable for an acoustic trio

bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171
Hi all,

So I'm fairly new to gigging, and I've managed to get hold of a 90-minute set at a charity event this summer with a keyboard player and a bass (or a second acoustic, depending on what is needed).
Both of us string players are solid intermediates, the keyboard player is quite advanced. The crowd will be quite diverse, as its a charity for families with disabled children, so we'll have everything from 10-year-olds on up to parents.
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for suitable material, excluding the suggestions made in the stickied thread, which are served by this sort of an acoustic trio.
If possible, we'd also love a good encore jam song where we can fly our musical flags for a bit lol.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    There is practically nothing you can't play with that lineup to be honest. 

I would choose the songs you want to play then figure out an arrangement, rather than try to fit songs around the instruments you happen to be using. 

I do use a stompbox though, which helps give the listener a bit of rhythmic information without having to hammer my guitar. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Avoid guitar solos. They usually suck on acoustic. Virtually anything will work to be honest. If you don't know what kind of crowd to expect, stick to standards like Brown Eyed Girl.
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171
    Stompbox? Can you expand on this? hammering the guitar was something I was concerned about.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Stompbox? Can you expand on this? hammering the guitar was something I was concerned about.
    This is a proper commerecial one, I made one out of an old IKEA shelf with a piezo pickup gaffa taped to it. 

You can practice hard and do all sorts with it, but quite often I just stamp on it on the beat to accent choruses. 

The main use for me is to allow me to play more sympathetically to the song, without having to get too busy or percussive on the guitar. Get a rhythm going with your foot, and all of a sudden the guitar can be sparse and dynamic instead of having to fill every gap. 

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    If the keyboard player can busk then its gonna be great, if advanced means "reads the music" then it's a different kettle of fish as he will have to lead you i would have thought in sng choice ?