Advice on fingering

What's Hot
A question I have is when I play triads like the chords at the beginning of Substitute by The Who. I need to barre the high E and B strings at the Fifth Fret and play the 6th fret of the G and strum the strings 4-1. I can't do this comfortably at all using my first finger for the barre and second finger on the G string, its really awkward and uncomfortable and I mute the string below with my second finger so I swap my second finger for my third and I can play it that way no issue. Is it ok do it this way or should I persevere with fingers 1 and 2? 

Is it an area that I need to work on or should I not worry about it?

Thanks
Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Make sure you ask permission first. 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Try barring all 3 strings with your fist finger. This should allow your second finger to come down on the g string in a more upright position, which should help with the accidental muting of adjacent strings.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    bending the tip upwards seems to hit the spot
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Wash your hands afterwards, otherwise the fishy smell will linger.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I don’t play that intro with any barres at all - for the A chord, I’d use my 1st finger on the B string, my 2nd finger on the E, and 3rd on the G. Same, obviously, for the G chord. That’s just what comes naturally to me.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    edited June 2019
    I've just tried what you described, 1st and 2nd finger is indeed a bit awkward. 1st and 3rd no problem. Depends on where it goes next but wouldn't worry about it. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I think I was at that party...
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I've just tried what you described, 1st and 2nd finger is indeed a bit awkward. 1st and 2nd no problem. Depends on where it goes next but wouldn't worry about it. 
    Thats called “the shocker”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    mart said:
    I don’t play that intro with any barres at all - for the A chord, I’d use my 1st finger on the B string, my 2nd finger on the E, and 3rd on the G. Same, obviously, for the G chord. That’s just what comes naturally to me.
    that's what i just tried too, seems the best option
  • I'd suggest persevering with the first finger barre (across all three top strings) and the second for the adjacent fret on the g string. It sounds as if the second finger needs to be a little more arched so as to avoid muting the b string? Having the first finger across all three makes it easier to either mute or let the open d ring with a very slight repositioning. It will also mean less adjustment when shifting to the d triad shape  i.e. switching the second finger from the g to b string without anything else changing.