I have to share that I've actually been practicing

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 706
I don't practice that much - usual thing, noodle around on stuff I know and then half-hearted attempts at stuff that I 80% know before going back to the stuff I know.

Anyway, I've spent the last 3 nights practicing. So now my fingers hurt and you lot are the only people who might even be slightly interested.

Just focussed on 2 small things
- The scuttle buttin riff
- The super fast bit of the solo from 'still got the blues'

Using 'capo' on a mac and slowing it down and playing along with them on a loop.

Not sure if I'm making any progress, but at least I feel like I'm doing something about my average playing!

FWIW scuttle buttin is somewhere between 80 and 85% full speed and still got the blues is 70 to 75%.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Practice will get you nowhere. What you really need is to buy a new guitar, some new pedals and possibly an amp. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 706
    Good advice!

Except I've got too many guitars, even more pedals and well sorted in the amp department (although currently shopping through the classifieds).

Honestly, if I'd spent as much time practicing as I've spent on guitar websites for the last 5 years I'd be half decent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    allen said:

Honestly, if I'd spent as much time practicing as I've spent on guitar websites for the last 5 years I'd be half decent.

I can relate to that. It's crazy how many things happen to take up the time you would have used to practice. Glad to hear you're devoting a bit of time to yours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    allen said:
    I don't practice that much - usual thing, noodle around on stuff I know and then half-hearted attempts at stuff that I 80% know before going back to the stuff I know.

Anyway, I've spent the last 3 nights practicing. So now my fingers hurt and you lot are the only people who might even be slightly interested.

Just focussed on 2 small things
    - The scuttle buttin riff
    - The super fast bit of the solo from 'still got the blues'

Using 'capo' on a mac and slowing it down and playing along with them on a loop.

Not sure if I'm making any progress, but at least I feel like I'm doing something about my average playing!

FWIW scuttle buttin is somewhere between 80 and 85% full speed and still got the blues is 70 to 75%.

Good one , it’s all progress when pursued on a regular basis, if you can play stuff at 75 and 85 % that you had difficulty with before ,it encourages you to keep doing it , and the feedback you get when you raise another 2 or 3% compels you to keep at it. Bravo . I like doing stuff like this
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    If you’re not sure that you’re getting anywhere, try slowing it down even more.  It might feel ridiculous to do, but give your muscle memory the chance to really learn how to play it right and relaxed.  Be patient too.  You need quite a few nights of sleep for the things that you’ve practiced to get securely lodged in your brain.
    Well done!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Well done you. 

I've been practicing too. Every 5 years or so I try to learn this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eymimAV8k

And then give up and forget all about it. 

This time around I've gone from 60bpm to 95bpm and can actually remember it. The original is 130bpm so still a ways to go but slowing down and working out the best fingering to get you to the next sequence of notes and playing it slow until it becomes muscle memory is really helping. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 706
    There are too many notes in that. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Allen it's key if you want to progress
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I do not have a purpose with practise I don't bother to much at all. So with my current Mesa Boogie rig I am getting into recording to see what I can come up with. If my skills needs to be brushed up its no problem.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • soma1975 said:
    Well done you. 

I've been practicing too. Every 5 years or so I try to learn this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eymimAV8k

And then give up and forget all about it. 

This time around I've gone from 60bpm to 95bpm and can actually remember it. The original is 130bpm so still a ways to go but slowing down and working out the best fingering to get you to the next sequence of notes and playing it slow until it becomes muscle memory is really helping. 
    That’s good progress , half the battle when practicing slow seems to be getting it to sound right and remember it, somevstuff sounds really weird and disjointed when slowed down , like Evh stuff , it doesn’t seem to flow , plus getting it all remembered in your head seems a huge task . But attacked in small bitesize pieces you can see thata lot is possible with regular practice . That’s why plateaus are so unbearable