Recorded something quick as a base for a song idea - thoughts?

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
edited May 2014 in Making Music
Came up with the clean stuff late last night, and had to do something with it.  

I'm happy with verse one (clean) and chorus one (dirty), and chorus two (dirty) but I'm thinking verse two could follow the same basic chord idea, but maybe with a dirty clean and no phaser, or maybe a more rocky power chordy chuggy thing that follows the same progression.

Then there is a 'heavy' riff (it's not that heavy), then something I was going to use as backing for a solo but was going to take out because it's rubbish.  And forgot to before rendering.  

The noodley solo bits are more for me - they won't be in the song (well, vocals need to go in somewhere) but I wanted to try a different approach.  I normally compose, but both of these came out in one take, out of tune bends, dodgy vibrato and iffy timing a go-go!  I normally compose solos, at least vaguely, so a one take thing is something I want to listen to and work out my flaws.

Vibrato is my biggest one to be honest, but there are some dodgy first finger bends, too.

All recorded from my trusty bandit :) one dirty side is just bandit, the other (including leads) has a tubescreamer in front to give a bit more punch and less bass.  

So, what are your thoughts on this?  For ending structure after 'heavy riff', I was thinking of a melodic solo over a simple 4 chord thing, going back into the heavy riff and a final chorus, before finishing on the heavy riff again.  But suggestions are more than welcome, I'm pretty new to writing stuff that's not *just* heavy...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Personally I would ditch the clean bits and revolve the whole thing around the heavier sound.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Personally I would ditch the clean bits and revolve the whole thing around the heavier sound.
    Cheers man.

My first attempt at clean! :p

• Also, there is a SHIT TON of bass on that clean sound... 

Definitely need to change that.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    My thoughts are...
    1) stop talking yourself down
    2) do whatever you bloody want with it - it's your music
    3) get a band together - that would sound great fully fleshed out with bass and drums

Bandits sound ok, don't they?
    ;)
  • My thoughts are...
    1) stop talking yourself down
    2) do whatever you bloody want with it - it's your music
    3) get a band together - that would sound great fully fleshed out with bass and drums

Bandits sound ok, don't they?
    ;)
    They ain't bad! I will never get rid of this one, it's built like a tank and the cleans are really great - I think it needsa  service, you can hear the hiss on the clean channel, but luckily as it gets louder the hiss stays pretty quiet.  

The drive is alright, but it's not a 6505 ;)

Talking myself down comes naturally, I'm afraid, but I am working on it :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    the riff at 2:20ish is my favourite part.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Very nice. 

I think you could smooth out the transition between the clean and heavy bits a little. as has been said other instruments (drums, bass...) would flesh it out and probably help with this.

If you listen to Nirvana Kurt often hits the distortion a few notes before the change. Add a drum/bass fill and it sounds cool.
  • Cheers man :)

Yeah, I definitely had nirvana and alter bridge in my mind when this came about. It's more of a singer/melody kinda idea, rather than a showboat of guitar.

Today, I'm back to thrash. :)