(Discussion Thread) - Fretboard Challenge #2 - Entries

What's Hot

Comments

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Was taken by surprise, in a nice way, by Adam MDs vocals. Didn't expect them but they have a really nice presence in the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Yes, mucho kudos to those couple brave enough to add vocals 

Some great stuff there - ambient, melodic and scary noises. 

Echo the thanks to @Antique_Guitars for pulling this all together!

Gonna need a couple more listens to choose my favourite but there are a couple of front runners already...
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    It's going to be tough to vote just for one. All the tracks are great, but there's 4 or 5 tracks here that I particularly would like to vote for. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Maybe in the future we should go for a "Eurovision" style scoring system? Picking just one is tricky!
  • @Basher I have uploaded a new version of your track for youtube that is now the correct length.
    Old Is Gold
  • I am also going to need to listen to all of these a few times, there are about 6 that could get my vote!

No need for the thanks people it is quite interesting doing it + I am not exactly doing the most technically advanced or stylish job of it..........
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    My track seems to be all muddy and quiet .. probably how I created the mp3 file.

I shall get a cold beer and have a listen later this evening.
    There could be some quality loss for the youtube videos when the files are made into a WMV file but the SoundCloud files should be exactly as they were sent to me.
    The problem is at my end when doing the mastering ... I'll get the hang of it.

I've stunned by the standard ... I'm going to have another listen tomorrow before deciding on a favourite.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    My track seems to be all muddy and quiet .. probably how I created the mp3 file.

There could be some quality loss for the youtube videos when the files are made into a WMV file but the SoundCloud files should be exactly as they were sent to me.

I've stunned by the standard ... I'm going to have another listen tomorrow before deciding on a favourite.
    If it is really bothering you then you can send a re-mastered version as long as the track is the same and I will just update the SoundCloud file and leave the youtube one as is.
    Old Is Gold
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

If it is really bothering you then you can send a re-mastered version as long as the track is the same and I will just update the SoundCloud file and leave the youtube one as is.
    OK. That's very kind of you. The track won't change - I haven't got time even if I wanted to ... I just happened to have some spare time on Tuesday afternoon and thought I'd have a go. I'll just try and create a new MP3 file without the compressor plugin I was using to master it. I think that's where the problem lies.

• Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

OK. That's very kind of you. The track won't change - I haven't got time even if I wanted to ... I just happened to have some spare time on Tuesday afternoon and thought I'd have a go. I'll just try and create a new MP3 file without the compressor plugin I was using to master it. I think that's where the problem lies.
    Cool no problem send it to the usual address when ready and I will change it on soundcloud.
    Old Is Gold
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Are we going to have a "gear used" thread...or leave that till later so we just let the music do the talking?
    Good plan.  After the dust has settled, though?

I'm glad of this thread. It made me pleased to know that others do the same sort of musical things.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Cacofonix said:
    Are we going to have a "gear used" thread...or leave that till later so we just let the music do the talking?
    Good plan.  After the dust has settled, though?

I'm glad of this thread. It made me pleased to know that others do the same sort of musical things.
    Yeah...I did post my gear used on the original thread, gives an insight into the process I think.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Just chatting through on this.  Can the entrants vote for their own tracks?

If we vote for our own and one other, is that ok?

Ta.
  • Cacofonix said:
    Just chatting through on this.  Can the entrants vote for their own tracks?

If we vote for our own and one other, is that ok?

Ta.
    You can vote for your own track if you want, but you only get one vote so that would be it.
    Old Is Gold
    My track was recorded with a CS Strat into a Strymon Timeline, using a custom setting with the Ice algorithm to get the +2octave drone effect (I'll try to dig out the precise config), stereo outs going into a Tascam GT-R1 with a bit of hall reverb.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2014
    Mine's all from my Telecaster. 

The drones are using an e-bow, the backwards bits were using a TC Ditto Looper X2. A Micro Pog added some +1 and -1 octaves to the e-bow lines. 

There's some delay and reverb on there, plus a tiny bit of tremolo and maybe a phaser (iirc).

That went into my Yamaha THR10 as an interface into GarageBand. 

The visuals was an iPhone lying in the ground under a tree!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    Feeling very much out of my depth in this competition haha had a listen to a few and already have the same amount of favourites, good work fretboarders!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • The question of if 'SELF VOTING' should be allowed or not has been raised.

Personally I think people should be allowed to vote for themselves if they wish, and on a forum with over 2000 members I would hope that it would not have a massive effect on the voting outcome.

However I can see how this might cause some issue if the number of people voting is small.

How do you the entrants feel about this? and how do non entrants feel about this?

If there is a major issue with it then we could reverse that decision, however everyone would still only get 1 vote.

Hit me up with your thoughts, obviously its only the 2nd Challenge so there are still a few teething problems.

Old Is Gold
    The question of if 'SELF VOTING' should be allowed or not has been raised.

Hit me up with your thoughts, obviously its only the 2nd Challenge so there are still a few teething problems.

I don't have a problem with it at all. I do hope that people other than the challenge participants will participate in the voting though!
    Personally I'd never vote for myself but I have no problem with those who do. For me it's the pleasure in taking part and being part of something interesting. A simple task - make a music using a drone - has thrown up a diverse range of songs. I'm finding picking a favourite hard so maybe we should opt for a Eurovision style voting system. I'm going to have another listen at lunchtime and make a decision.

I was also wondering if there's a way we could give/get feedback.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom