'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10262
    tFB Trader
    £48 squid plus £5.50 P&P ... and there is a 7-9 day winding and dispatch time at the moment cos we is very busy :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Hey Ash...you think you could do a bridge humbucker guitar in P90 size? recommendations for an SG? 

I was thinking of getting you to do another A8 pickup...but recently thought about getting something different...let me know what you think...considering, its tuned to C and will be having a Bigsby on it as well.
    tFB Trader
    Do you mean a humbucking P90 or a humbucker sized P90?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

sorry...I meant a humbucking p90
    tFB Trader
    I have the kit for open top P90s at the moment ... I am awaiting more nickel covers for my closed ones.

ill PM you...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    The joy of spending a Saturday wiring in a customers pickups.
    Keeping things neat is the trick.
    Nice pushback wire on these Oil City's makes the job esy.
    We do tend to use clear heatshrink as well these days to help keep the wires bundled and under control.
    Even the earth bus-bar has clear heatshrink pieces on to help unwanted short circuits
    We also chose to slip a small piece of either red or blue heatshrink onto the neck (bl) or bridge(red) lead wires that go to the switch to help keep things easy for any future tech who might work on the guitar. I tend to use the red= hot=bridge and blue = bluesey=neck convention for my own colour coding.

We used some CTS/BKP280k pots and an orange drop 0.022uF cap

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair bit neater than my wiring!
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Beautiful job Jonathan, so much difference between slapping a set of pickups in ... and properly installing them.

Oh, please note guys ... Oil City/ASL has been going a bit slow for the last week: I hace had a horrible, viral, flu-like bug, that has really laid me low. Katie will be helping me to clear the backlog ... but I'm steel feeling pants :-(

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
     ... steel feeling pants :-(
    Sorry you have been below par.  ^^ are these part of the new ASL range?
  • Mind if I ask what size shrink tubing you used?

The stuff I have is too thin and I'll prolly have to order online! That's a really tidy solution.
  • Also, where did you get that switch? It looks like the really good one, switchcraft? Last one I used was an oak grigsby and it was useless, practically fell apart. Not cheap either!
    tFB Trader
    The pickups are Oil City Triple Blues ... and Jonathan did the install so he is the shrink tube man to ask :-)

• Also, where did you get that switch? It looks like the really good one, switchcraft? Last one I used was an oak grigsby and it was useless, practically fell apart. Not cheap either!
    It looks like the original, judging by the brown phenolic wafer.
    tFB Trader
    It probably was the original ... it was a late 70s Strat ... and the switches weren't bad on those ... Jonathan told me he left some bits as was.

• It probably was the original ... it was a late 70s Strat ... and the switches weren't bad on those ... Jonathan told me he left some bits as was.
    Fair enough.

I NEED A GOOD ONE.  

Also, er... I might have bought a strat body.  I could re-use a couple of the pickups fom the jazzmaster, but I reckon I might just buy a set of three 50's style pickups from you at some point...

:D
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    On the left we have one of my 'new option' Oil City StoneTone Strat 'staggers' ... on the right is a very new beast indeed! This is from only the third 'evaluation set' ... and yet to be wound. The HUGE 1/4 inch pole pieces may be a giveaway as to the sort of pickup it will be ... but as I hope people have come to expect from OCP: clarity and harmonic content will be the main features ... as well as value for money.

Aaaaarrrgghh! I've been putting off making that Blackmore Strat for so long now, I almost thought I'd got over it....
    And then you go and make one of those!! So unfair. I am but a weak fleshy thing.....

By the way if you need a name for them, how about "Royale" (pulp fiction reference) ;)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    The heatshrink I used was from Rapid electronics
    It's a 4.8mm size (before heating) for the bigger stuff and a 1.2mm stuff for the smaller 

The 4.8 fits over most pickup cables and also the braided cables Gibson use and is good for insulating against short circuits
    The 1.2mm is good for shrinking over joins in individual cable joins

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• The heatshrink I used was from Rapid electronics
    It's a 4.8mm size (before heating) for the bigger stuff and a 1.2mm stuff for the smaller 

The 4.8 fits over most pickup cables and also the braided cables Gibson use and is good for insulating against short circuits
    The 1.2mm is good for shrinking over joins in individual cable joins
    Cheers :D
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    Are you doing any humbucker with blades at the moment?

I am starting to think about this guitar and i keep coming back to blades....

I am also thinking double white bobbins, possibly in a H-chrome Cover - but that might be taking things a bit far