'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    I have the ASL Havoc in prototype/testing stages ... a 16k alnico 8/ceramic hybrid with a wicked bottom end (oooer missus).
    If you would like to evaluate one drop me a PM, I always discount pre-production examples pretty heavily ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey @TheGuitarWeasel....I wonder if you could assist please? I'm currently putting together a thinline Tele build, and have got hold of a Broadcaster bridge pickup, and am now looking for something to go in the neck. I was wondering what neck pickup do you do that works well with the broadcaster? I'm completely open to suggestions, whether it be a SC, P90 or HB, as I'm looking for it to cover a decent array of tones as I play in a covers band, and I'm too lazy to keep swapping guitars if I don't have to! Cheers muchly!
    tFB Trader
    You could try a Strat pickup or that classic Nashville combo ... or a Firebird pickup is super lovely in a Tele!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    People tend to forget ... with the success of the Oil City Scrapyard Dog, Scrapyard Dog PLUS, Blitz Spirit and new Forces Sweetheart humbuckers .... that I make others, especially the V series of Venom and Viper high output pickups.
    Here is a Venom bridge (15k ceramic magnet) and Dog PLUS alnico 5 neck combo in fetching, raw nickel and 3x3 pole configuration. There are many, many different 'looks' that can be given with different cover/pole combos ... image

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    oooh, I am pretty sure that they will be making an appearance in this soon !

Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Jaden said:

Proper Made-in-the-UK collaboration - excellent.

:) 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Jaden;479857" said:
    Drools.....

That is awesome
  • About to buy either the Forces Sweetheart or Blitz Spirit for this I have been working on. 

I bought it as an empty shell of an SG Faded and have gradually been adding parts, fitting the bridge not as easy as I had hoped and it's still not perfect but hopefully it will still be brilliant!

I wanted to go for a classic rock/blues ZZ Top/Black Crowes kind of vibe and sound.

Any advice on which one would suit it best would be much appreciated @TheGuitarWeasel. Still stuck on which one but can't wait to get and order!

tFB Trader
    I'd go for the Blitz Spirits ...more of that thicker, Texas sound

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd go for the Blitz Spirits ...more of that thicker, Texas sound
    Sweet, cheers for the help, the order should now be with you.

Cheers!
    tFB Trader

I've been a busy boy here at Oily Towers! Aside from the small flood of new ASL pickups ... I have found time to sort out a couple of tasty goodies for those among you who love the Telecaster. 
    The first is the Oil City Alligator 90. image
    A halfway house between a conventional Tele bridge pickup and a P90 this little chap keeps the cut and twang of a conventional Tele pickup, but adds girth and growl. Scatter wound to 10k and equipped with twin ceramic 8 magnets in true P90 configuration the Alligator 90 is never harsh or spiky ... but allows you to cut through with authority and 'rock out with your crock out' .... erk sorry!

The next contender is the Oil City Californian neck pickup.

Unlike most Tele neck pickups this little brute is built with 42awg wire to 6.2k like a Strat.  It also sports over height 19mm alnico 5 magnets for maximum bass response and treble bite. The perfect pickup for people who don't like tele neck pickups ... this one is a little Strat like a little Wide Range humbucker like ... and very clear. Add some Tube screamer for Texas blues raunch.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

Just ordered a Blitz Spirit for another one of my Melody Makers...already too excited!! Do love new pups.

Will do a NPUD review asap :)

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited February 2015
    Ohh, that alligator 90 thing looks good - what would you pair it with in the neck? would need to be SC sized for me...

• Woah... Pair the Gator with the Californian... with a 4 way! Might put my Esquire back to a Tele... Or just make another! :) And does anyone like Tele neck pickups?
    tFB Trader
    The Tele neck pickup is a much misunderstood thing ... the right one can be awsome. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    The Tele neck pickup is a much misunderstood thing ... the right one can be awsome. 

The right one being a mini humbucker or Filtertron type   ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    You forgot P90 ... ;-)

• Or a strat neck pick up.... Hence why the Californian looks like a mighty fine idea! ;)
    cbilly22 said:

Just ordered a Blitz Spirit for another one of my Melody Makers...already too excited!! Do love new pups.

Blitz Spirit arrived today, well Saturday but I missed the postman. Wired it in and gave it a quick whirl through a THR and an Orange CR60c (quietly) and sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Very open sounding with a nice bluesy grind with the tone backed off a bit. Cleans up really well off the volume control and has a great lead tone flat out. Very happy so far and can't wait to get it wailing through a cranked amp on Wednesday.....oh, and it is beautifully made too.
    Great work again Ash, was a pleasure to natter to you the other day.
    cbilly22 said:
    cbilly22 said:

Blitz Spirit arrived today, well Saturday but I missed the postman. Wired it in and gave it a quick whirl through a THR and an Orange CR60c (quietly) and sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Very open sounding with a nice bluesy grind with the tone backed off a bit. Cleans up really well off the volume control and has a great lead tone flat out. Very happy so far and can't wait to get it wailing through a cranked amp on Wednesday.....oh, and it is beautifully made too.
    Great work again Ash, was a pleasure to natter to you the other day.
    Quick update on this. Just got back in from rehearsal and first proper (ie loud) play with this pickup and it's absolutely awesome. Used it through my Orange CR60C with either a booster or an LT Drive in front of it, my Melody Maker sounded great. Plenty of crunch but cleans up really well (I don't do channel switching).  When you only have one pickup it needs to be a good one....and it is. Top marks Ash.