Mint condition...

What's Hot
streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
... bar one small scratch on the lower bout. 

See also: pristine, as new, small dink and lacquer crack that doesn't affect playability at all'.

Sales patter or simple mindedness? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It puts the moron in oxymoron.

My pet hate is 'Museum Grade', especially when applied to a 2yo PRS

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited June 2014
    Both. But whether or not you agree with the patter at least the imperfections are disclosed.

Something described as mint that turned out to have an undisclosed ding would get on my tits more.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Museum Grade, lol. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72488
    I think the first is OK - if it's "mint apart from one small scratch". If that's an accurate description - ie the rest of the condition is absolutely perfect, and not just pretty good - then I think it's fair. It's up to the buyer to decide if the scratch is an issue or not.

The second isn't really if the critical bit "apart from" or "except for" is missing.

The ones that really annoy me are when they're described as mint or pristine without any qualification and they clearly aren't, even in the pics. "Mint" does not mean "in quite good condition".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I think that "would be mint if not for..." is better as it isn't in "mint" condition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    ICBM said:
    I think the first is OK - if it's "mint apart from one small scratch". If that's an accurate description - ie the rest of the condition is absolutely perfect, and not just pretty good - then I think it's fair. It's up to the buyer to decide if the scratch is an issue or not.

The second isn't really if the critical bit "apart from" or "except for" is missing.

The ones that really annoy me are when they're described as mint or pristine without any qualification and they clearly aren't, even in the pics. "Mint" does not mean "in quite good condition".
    No. I disagree. Mint is mint, try and remove the part of the guitar with the dink on and see what you're left with.

Or show up for a date with a girl described as a 10 and she's missing an eye. You would be pissed off, unless you were a pirate. 

Where it might be okay is when there's a problem with a piece of removable hardware - the guitar itself could still be described as having a mint finish. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    There's a world of difference between saying "this guitar is mint" and "this guitar is mint apart from the ding." I just take it as it's intended, that you're not going to find any issues other than the one highlighted. If I then find one, I have the right to get very grumpy.
    DeeTee said:
    There's a world of difference between saying "this guitar is mint" and "this guitar is mint apart from the ding." I just take it as it's intended, that you're not going to find any issues other than the one highlighted. If I then find one, I have the right to get very grumpy.
    It's incorrect use of the english language.

If I describe something as flawless, and it has a flaw, am I correct?

NO.

~ fin ~

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    I've got no problem with it. How else would you describe it? "Not mint because it has a ding but if it didn't have a ding it would be mint"? How is that not the same thing?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    How about "not pregnant apart from the foetus that I'm gestating" (not me obvs.)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    It's not incorrect. It's perfectly acceptable. If I say my car is green apart from the bonnet which is white, and you expect a totally green car, the fault isn't mine.

And I have an ugly car, obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    I spray my items with spearmint essence so that i can describe it as mint regardless of its physical condition. so she i say mint condition , i mean it smells like a polo......... Clearly joking.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    I drill a big hole through all my guitars before sale.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok this is getting out of hand.

Can mods pls lock the thread, sticky it and remove every post following my beautifully sculpted ~fin~ one?
    Cheers. 
    :)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I wouldn't use the term because even new guitars in shops are not mint. Nickel starts to tarnish as soon as anybody touches it. Better to say unmarked. I think most people know that means no dings while accepting that it is a musical instrument which has actually been played by the previous owner!

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    I was once in a market in Karachi and a guy was selling his daughter really cheap.  The sign read "Mint condition except for small tear to hymen due to skateboarding accident."
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    :-S
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72488
    DeeTee said:
    It's incorrect use of the english language.

If I describe something as flawless, and it has a flaw, am I correct?

NO.

No. "Flawless apart from (description of flaw)" is entirely correct as long as the rest of it is in fact flawless.

"Flawless" *without* a description of the flaw is not correct.

~ fin ~

Knowing the French for "end" and how to post it in a fancy font does not automatically make you right ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I drill a big hole through all my guitars before sale.
    Are you Francis Rossi?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31630
    ICBM said:
    Knowing the French for "end" and how to post it in a fancy font does not automatically make you right ;).
    I disagree, well I was impressed anyway.