Have we had a 'Shite songs with great solos' thread yet?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
edited June 2014 in Music

If not can I suggest Shania Twain's  'Man! I Feel Like A Woman' for starters?

Ooo.. and I almost forget.. 'November Rain' by GnR.. Not a really great solo, but not bad... just he didn't have much to work with. 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2014
    "Meet Me On The Other Side" by Restless Heart springs to mind first. My dad showed it to me (that's my excuse)... 2:15:

Most things by Autograph. They had a few good songs but most were a bit shit. Lots of cracking solos though. 2:40 here, for example:

I quite like that Shania Twain song.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Bucket said:
    I quite like that Shania Twain song.
    Admit it, you just like the video ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    equalsql said:
    Admit it, you just like the video ;)
    I think I've only seen the video once, I don't remember much about it other than it's got her and the band performing the song. My dad used to listen to the album a lot when I was small (I must have been six or seven, no real music taste of my own so I just listened to all of his stuff). This, combined with my post above, is a pretty damning indictment of my dad's music taste, isn't it? :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    It's ok - quite a lot of dads would've been 'forced' to watch that vid :|
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited June 2014
    Dare I say some of the Yngwie stuff??

I don't know if I'd call the following songs shite, but they're not great:-
    "Physical" by O.N.John - Lukather wails on that one!
    "Twilight Zone" - Manhattan Transfer - the great Jay Graydon (Lukather's mentor)
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I had a pretty extensive thread on this topic on Empfab's temp forum that preceded this one. Somewhat ironically I can't gain access to the content anymore! It was mainly fantastic Dan Huff solos recorded as a Nashville session guitarist in the 80s for some staggeringly mediocre Christian soft rock. I'll dig out some gems when I have a moment.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    @bigjon - the Huff is fantastic
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I bought Ozzy's 'Ultimate sin' (was that the album name??) and didn't much care for any of the songs or Ozzys overrated vocals. I did however love Jake E Lee's tasty solos. Infact, I'm sure I made a tape up at the time featuring all the solos strung together! It didn't quite work but you can see the sentiment.
    edited June 2015
    Here's the contender that sprang instantly to mind when I saw the thread title:- Gone are the days when the Nashville Christian soft-rock producers took off all the rough edges in a syrup of synclavier-generated backing-vocal pads, then at the last minute called Dan Huff and said "Give us 20 seconds of whammy-bar-mangling at 2:15 climaxing with a bar of septuplet alternate picking at 2:38 as we swoop up into the key-change." To get the full effect I suggest you listen from the chorus before the solo, starting at 1:50.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    ^^ I gave that a wow but wanted to lol as well. I can't believe how incongruous that is - truly woeful song though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited June 2015
    Ready for the next masterpiece from the Huffster? Take an Amy Grant gospel/pop song with a plodding melody, a horrible drum sound, and a meandering middle-eight, but follow it up at 2:23 with a taptastic 15-second splurge of a cameo from DH, with a one-in-a-million pinch-harmonic at 2:30. Again, to get the contrast properly I suggest listening from the second chorus at 1:50