So I'm going through some kind of metamorphosis right now...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
In that I've stopped being excited by long atmospheric build ups and 12 minute cinematic epics where we focus on one idea. I'm finding it quite dull right now.

It's making me realize how little I actually know about composing music. I can write a good riff.. but never know how to get into it, and how to do the interesting but groove orientated clever bits that I love so much in other bands. It's really bumming me out right now. I feel so limited.

There is a huge part of me that wants to write some really good alt-rock or hard-rock stuff. Strip back the atmospherics and the filler, and actually be happy to sit on a few known chords for a chorus, and throw some vocals on the top of it and writes SONGS instead of soundscapes for a change.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    edited July 2014
    If you're really stuck, do what I did...find a good pop-rock singer and collaborate - let them write the vocals (lyrics and melody) to go with a riff you've written, then they'll pretty much tell you what the structure needs to be and it'll become really obvious how to get from one section to the next.

The bonus is that it's a hell of a lot more fun writing with somebody else.

I've found that the trick is to stop trying to imagine the entire song all at once - just focus on little ideas, perhaps with just the guitar and a click track, and let them grow.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Yeah if you can team up with a vocalist who likes to write then that helps loads.

What works for everyone is different.  Personally I hear everything in my head except the lyrics, sometimes I get the chorus lyric or a bit of the verse, but mostly I hear melodies, chord progressions, and rhythms.  The lyrics and final arrangement/melody tends to be a group effort, but me and the singer do the bulk of the work.

When I write a song with our singer I almost always use an acoustic guitar now.  If the songs don't translate to acoustic guitar + voice they're not working yet as far as I'm concerned.  The fact they end up arranged for twin heavy guitars is secondary to the fact the vocal should work with the rhythms and chord progressions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited July 2014

I thought for a second you were going to say you'd turned into a beetle overnight and had been locked in your room with food being brought to you by your sister.

Echo what the others have said, ie focus on key things for a song then add the decoration after. What I have found good is thinking of songs as cover versions, in two ways. Firstly, to get you into some ideas, take a few songs you like the tune and chords for, but try and disregard the arrangement. Work out a cover of that song, in your style. That gets you into recognising the difference between the essentials (tune, chords, rhythm) and the embellishments (instrument parts, fills, intros etc).

The second way of this being useful, is to write a song on a different instrument if you can, keys are excellent for this. I guess acoustic may also work, maybe with that try writing the tune over a bassline rather than chords. Then once you have a few ideas, effectively "cover" your own song in the same way you did with the other one. You'll end up with something very different than if you try to write a "finished article" in a certain style. If that makes sense

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited July 2014
    I predict an image change for Tacoma...

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    No.

Ugh....

Just no.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    You know we're looking for a guitarist, right? You only need to move...oh...100 miles north. Shouldn't be a problem for someone as dedicated to their music as yourself.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    what kinda diet have you got for soaking this kinda thing up ... for you know ... getting inspiration?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Drew_fx said:
    In that I've stopped being excited by long atmospheric build ups and 12 minute cinematic epics where we focus on one idea. I'm finding it quite dull right now.

It's making me realize how little I actually know about composing music. I can write a good riff.. but never know how to get into it, and how to do the interesting but groove orientated clever bits that I love so much in other bands. It's really bumming me out right now. I feel so limited.

There is a huge part of me that wants to write some really good alt-rock or hard-rock stuff. Strip back the atmospherics and the filler, and actually be happy to sit on a few known chords for a chorus, and throw some vocals on the top of it and writes SONGS instead of soundscapes for a change.
    It's a difficult balance though, your band has a really strong identity and aesthetic which I think is a strength / selling point and putting in pop influences and stuff like that may well dilute the appeal.

It sounds to me like you need a side project :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    And when you find that special thing, you're flying without wings?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Drew_fx said:

It's a difficult balance though, your band has a really strong identity and aesthetic which I think is a strength / selling point and putting in pop influences and stuff like that may well dilute the appeal.

It sounds to me like you need a side project :)
    I think you're totally right!

Also I was probably a bit harsher in my initial post than really warranted.
    frankus said:
    what kinda diet have you got for soaking this kinda thing up ... for you know ... getting inspiration?
    Um... I just ate a bagel ?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

I'm really surprised that Deano hasn't offered you some solid advice yet!   8->

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    He'll only bang on about how awesome jebus is.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited July 2014

If it's well digested try this ;)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I'm always fascinated by how deceptively tricky it is to write good "pop", (as in, under 4 minutes, verse chorus verse.) Packing those hooks in is hard yo.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I simply cannot believe you didn't call this thread "So I am going through some kind of METALMORPHOSIS right now..."

You have failed at life.
    octatonic said:
    I simply cannot believe you didn't call this thread "So I am going through some kind of METALMORPHOSIS right now..."

You have failed at life.
    Puns are for homos.