First Singing Lesson

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
in Live tFB Trader
Well I bit the bullet and had a singing lesson. 

Was a little bit stressful, but I really enjoyed it. 

He said I gave good head, but had a weak bottom :)

That is to say I've got quite good range at the top, but I lack low range. Apparently I also don't know how to transition between my chest and head voice effectively (which is supposedly one of the most common problems singers have). 

Lots to work on, but it was good to hear I have the raw materials to be a singer and have an idea what I should be working on.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited July 2014

That is to say I've got quite good range at the top, but I lack low range.
    So basically he said you' be better suited to Bee Gees covers than a Tom Waits tribute?
    Apparently I also don't know how to transition between my chest and head voice effectively (which is supposedly one of the most common problems singers have). 

It is indeed by far one of the most common problems.  It takes a bit to crack but once you have it become so easy you forget why you ever found it difficult.  I don't think it helps because you are physically aware of this transition and know audibly it's a weakness (and makes you feel uncomfortable) and that in turn makes you nervous around that area so you tighten up making the transition more difficult and so on. 

A good thing to practice is feeling how your throat opens when you yawn and to try to replicate that (without yawning) as it opens everything up.

Well done for having the balls to do it.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Good for you - been thinking of doing likewise. Keep us updated.
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    I've been taking singing lessons for a while and its really helped me a lot , its given me a lot more confidence. I get exercises to practice based on a recording of each lesson. I wish I'd done it years ago

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Third lesson tomorrow. 

I'm really enjoying it and my bandmates have mentioned how much better my singing has got already. 

I've learned a great deal about how changing posture and choice of sounds can make a huge difference to your range.

I've also learned that I have a stupidly high vocal range when I'm warmed up and singing properly. My teacher had me singing Unintended by Muse last lesson which has got some daft high notes in it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    I heard an interview with Richard Mcalmont, he Mcalmont and Butler, and he has a 3and 1/2 octave range and apparently also teaches. Anyway he said that a lot of male students are surprised when he gets them singing across a 3 octave range.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Think of the transition problem as a strength not a weakness. Write some songs that require yodelling.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    edited July 2014
    Who did you use?

I was looking for a teacher a while back, though that was before Mr drummer threw a moody and put his sticks away!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Carl Chapman based near where I used to live in Pakenham.

I've never had lessons with anyone else so I can't say how he compares to others, but he has certainly helped me.
    tFB Trader
    Fourth lesson. 

Moving on to learning now to sing the rawk with a bit of Foo Fighters. 

This bit's going to be fun :)
  • I was getting lessons for a bit but work got busy... I was trying to learn "More Than Words". Supposedly there are several "breaks" no just from chest to head. I try to mimic Axle Rose a lot (lol) and you learn how to do it without straining (think meowing like a cat!). I'm no great singer, though. Thought about re-starting the lessons but think I'll try and get better at guitar instead. Plus, I understand you need to do the breathing exercises and the ee's and aaa's etc but I find it tiring. I used Ken Tamplin's course for a bit (honestly he could have packed it into one volume - there's lots of repetition) but my tutor wasn't keen on him. Seemed to be ok with Roger Love. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    edited August 2014
    Hope you dont mind me asking but how much are you paying?

Last time I checked it was anything from £20+ an hour. 
    tFB Trader
    £22 for 45 mins.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    £22 for 45 mins.
    thanks , sounds like its worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom