FIN - MIM Tele

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
edited October 2014 in Making & Modding
Yesterday I got my hands on a MIM Tele from @Travisthedog that I believe @Che was the original owner of. It's a 2007 model and is (was) nicely worn in with a few small chips. I think it was Che who modded it with a set of frankly some of the best pickups ever created; Bare Knuckle Flat 50's. I'd promised myself ages ago to get a beat up Tele and grace it with some nice paint. Although not completely beat up, begrudgingly I put it down this afternoon having enjoyed a night and day of playing the hell out of it and thoroughly enjoying the noise this beauty makes.
I haven't completely decided what I'm doing yet but the following pics show the guitar firstly in it's from the factory guise at 3pm today. At 4pm I used a hot air gun to remove the poly (sorry ICBM). Although super-thick this went in my favour and it came off extremely easily (I was finished by 4.25).
A very quick flat down with some 400 wet and dry and around 6 good coats of cellulose sander sealer and that's where I've finished for the day. Some of will know that initial sealing in this manner is very easy and good quality sander sealer is a joy to work with. And obviously it's old school which is always nice. Where I'll go from here is anyone's guess but I've considered candy green, candy tangerine, daphne blue, surf green, dakota red, seafoam metallic, LPB and even sunburst. It's a big list, I know!....
Regarding the sunburst, I expected as this was black that Fender wouldn't have bothered with a maple veneer as I presumed this was reserved for actual sunburst-destined guitars. I was surprised to see underneath, it was like opening presents on Christmas day! So although this is no less than a 6 piece body (alder, but possibly basswood), it actually would take a burst IF I decide I fancy it. 
I also have plans for the anaemic looking neck and that decal. Time for a beer. Here's the pics for anyone who's interested:
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Lovely.

Now just put it back together and be amazed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/Lixarto/DSCN1871.jpg
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I do like a blonde. But obviously it's a bit of an ugly duckling for that. I considered getting a replacement body but I'm a big believer in making the best of what you already have. Nice Tele though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said: Nice Tele though!
    Thanks! :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    edited July 2014
    Can't decide what to do here. One third of me is thinking a creamy vintage white, the other surf green, the other tobacco burst.
    I wanted to be all flash and do it candy green but I just don't think it will feel right on me.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Lake Placid Blue ! Sparkly AND classy
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Sherwood green! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All great choices and ones I've thought long and hard about gents. However, I had some surf green anyway and thought what the hell as I was going round in circles in my mind. 

So this afternoon this is how it looks after I've re-sanding sealed, basecoated and lacquered the body then flatted back the neck (was forced to remove the MIM decal and serial no.) and applied a tinted sanding sealer to the neck. I've ordered a vintage cream guard and spaghetti logo so hope it will all go together when I re-assemble (hopefully next weekend). Excuse the arm/hand selfie!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Hmm, well I suppose Surf Green doesn't look toooooo bad ! ;-)
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    love it!!!
    How very rock and roll
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    edited July 2014
    Ha, this is mint. Well done bro, you've given it a new lease of life for sure. Surprised at how good it looked natural.
    Cheers lads. And I couldn't either Che. Good choice of pickups though mate, they're amazing.
    I'll update the thread when I lacquer the neck. I'm thinking matt 2 pack for a silky feel at the moment but might still go gloss for a classic look.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    What are the 3 holes on the lower bout for? Never seen such a thing! Nice ax! Paul
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57;300374" said:
    What are the 3 holes on the lower bout for? Never seen such a thing!

Nice ax!

Paul
    I believe they're for CNC guidance Paul, although there is some speculation that they're for identification purposes. Some have 1, some have the 3.
    Well, I'm officially back to square one on this. My sander sealer did not bond and the result was poor adhesion. I've stripped the lot off! Lucky I enjoy hard work.
    You're clearly meant to leave it that way ;)
    Lixarto;320123" said:
    You're clearly meant to leave it that way ;)
    Ha! Like I said, what a month or so ago? I would Lixarto, if it wasn't an ugly duckling.
    I'm now toying with the idea of a very thin coat of nitro. Maybe a two tone tobacco burst. And a shellaced neck. Maybe.....
    ;)
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    The grain looked nice enough for oils. I'd go that way.
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Lixarto said:
    Lovely.

Love the B&Q bridge screws, thats my style lol
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
    juansolo;320431" said:
    The grain looked nice enough for oils. I'd go that way.
    Only problem is it's a maple veneer over a five piece body or I would. I'm just gonna thin skin it with nitro of some colour/description.
    mrn1989 said:
    Lixarto said:
    Lovely.

Love the B&Q bridge screws, thats my style lol
    Yes - it ain't pretty, it's a Telecaster!

(Original knobs back on now - the Jazz ones didn't suit it)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom