On Thursday night this man...

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
....will play this song... It's been a few years since I've seen him do a solo show and I can't wait!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Where's that then? He is playing Moseley folk fest but I can't persuade MrsTheWeary to go even though she's the sort of folky one.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Warwick Folk Festival (just down the road from me, we've been going to this off and on for over 10 years).
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Love RT and I love that song. He's playing Gawsworth Hall a few miles away from me - if I could get a baby-sitter, I'd be there.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

excellent, much as I love his band stuff, for me RT is best solo.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• A truly great player and songwriter, Beeswing is an amazing song.
    Old Is Gold
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Yes Beeswing is very good.

I saw him live just with Danny Thompson once. Very good. Missed out on tickets when they played the Putney Half Moon recently though. Up close would have been a gig and a guitar lesson in one!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Skarloey;301112" said:
    Missed out on tickets when they played the Putney Half Moon recently though. Up close would have been a gig and a guitar lesson in one!
    Missed out too. Mind you, all the tickets went in about 2 seconds so I'm not surprised. :(
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Never heard of him before, which, looking at his wikipedia entry, is probably inexcusable. Sounds pretty good.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
    a true musical genius  :D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    richardhomer;300830" said:
    Love RT and I love that song. He's playing Gawsworth Hall a few miles away from me - if I could get a baby-sitter, I'd be there.
    I've got a baby sitter and one of the ten remaining tickets.

Very excited! Been a fan for nearly 30 years - last saw him 20 years ago!

Will report back....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    His solo show at the Warwick Folk Fest was outstanding. Amazing stuff up close. I last saw him with the band (Old Kit Bag tour IIRC) but solo he really is something else.

Great set list, and he was genuinely taking requests. Beeswing and Vincent were in there, along with Read about love, I want to see the bright lights, genus is hall, I feel so good, persuasion, I missunderstood, and loads more I've forget since Thursday. 

If he's playing near you GO!
    edited July 2014
    Said I would report back. In a word - incredible.

His playing is better - and even more unconventional - than ever. He featured some great new songs (which suggest his ability to churn out shear class knows no bounds).

Vincent Black Lightening was an obvious highlight - the only frustration is that his catalogue of truly great songs is so vast, there are bound to be ones that don't get played (I Misunderstood didn't get an airing - and I would have loved to have heard Jennie).

He brought local singer Christine Collister (who was in his touring band in the '80s) to sing harmony on the encore.

It's some time since I last saw him live and he seems massively at ease with an audience, in a way that I don't remember from earlier shows. He was very good humoured throughout and dealt with (always good-natured) hecklers with razor-sharp wit.

A fantastic night - anyone seriously into great song-writing and amazing guitar playing should try to get to see him - he's exceptional.
    not_the_dj;20153" said:
    ....will play this song...

It's been a few years since I've seen him do a solo show and I can't wait!
    Well?

How was it?

Well?

How was it?
    I posted a quick reply up there on the 26th (it was last Thursday now).

I really do prefer seeing him solo compared to with the band, and I was at the front of the marquee so able to watch his fingers which is always a treat.

I might have discovered the secret of his playing though....it's all in his magic talcum powder. He kept that on a little table next to him, a liberal sprinkling on his fingers before the tricky ones ;-) and he's picking like he sold his soul >:)
    not_the_dj;309113" said:
    I posted a quick reply up there on the 26th (it was last Thursday now).

I really do prefer seeing him solo compared to with the band, and I was at the front of the marquee so able to watch his fingers which is always a treat.

I might have discovered the secret of his playing though....it's all in his magic talcum powder. He kept that on a little table next to him, a liberal sprinkling on his fingers before the tricky ones ;-) and he's picking like he sold his soul >:)
    Sorry - should have reread the thread! Yeah talc much in evidence at Gawsworth - despite him joking it was something else!